RDP Table 3 Usage with Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
2 questions regarding RDP table 3 usage with nitrox:

(1) Let's say you're planning 2 dives using the RDP, with different percentages of oxygen. For example, the first dive is with EAN32 and the second with EAN36. After the first dive, you use table 1 of the RDP for EAN32 to determine your pressure group. Then, after a surface interval, using table 2 of the EAN32 RDP, you figure out your after-surface-interval pressure group. At this point, to plan your second dive, do you use table 3 of the EAN32 RDP, or table 3 of the EAN36 RDP?

(2) In the above scenario, you are now using table 3 (of the appropriate RDP). At this point, when looking up your residual nitrogen time, do you use the depth of the second dive, or the depth of the first dive?

Thanks!

(1) If you're planning it that way, then you should calculate your pressure group after surface interval using table 1 and 2 of the 32% RDP, then switch to table 3 of the 36% RDP to calculate your Adjusted NDL, residual nitrogen time and oxygen exposure.

(2) Using table 3 is the same amongst all versions of the RDP - it's based on the depth of your second dive - i.e.: After my surface interval I am in pressure group B. My second dive is to 16 metres. I must determine my limits at that depth given that I still have a bit of nitrogen left over from the first dive. You look at the box on table 3 where the depth of your second dive intersects with the PG after surface interval.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

C.

(1) If you're planning it that way, then you should calculate your pressure group after surface interval using table 1 and 2 of the 32% RDP, then switch to table 3 of the 36% RDP to calculate your Adjusted NDL, residual nitrogen time and oxygen exposure.

(2) Using table 3 is the same amongst all versions of the RDP - it's based on the depth of your second dive - i.e.: After my surface interval I am in pressure group B. My second dive is to 16 metres. I must determine my limits at that depth given that I still have a bit of nitrogen left over from the first dive. You look at the box on table 3 where the depth of your second dive intersects with the PG after surface interval.

Yep, that's the way I did it in my recent Nitrox class. I'm glad that I guessed right!

Thanks!

In reality, I'll just use my Mares Puck and leave the tables in my dive bag. :wink:

When using different EAN mixes, I bring everything to a common denominator...Air by calculating the EAD of each dive and plugging the numbers in the air table or eRDP

Back
Top Bottom