Reading lenses in a mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver42

Contributor
Reaction score
I admit it: I'm getting older. On land, reading isn't an issue; but in the water, especially in low light, I find it more-difficult to read my SPGs. (I've memorized where the numbers are, but I don't love that idea.) Not long ago I did a 45-minute blue-water ocean deco, during which a contact lens (distance) popped out. I noticed I could read my gauges better without it. In the cave, where light is limited, it's tougher to just glance at the gauges these days.

Are there stick-on reading lenses for masks? I would be happy with just one, on the left, to read my stage SPGs. Are there any pitfalls to using them? This isn't an urgent need, but I know it isn't going to get any better.

I'd like to avoid custom mask lenses. If I have to lend a mask to someone, hopefully the small addition on one side won't be a problem. Also, I have at least three masks (two in the water at all times), and I've finally found masks that fit my face comfortably—and I don't want to give them up.

There are and stuartv on SB recommends these

Amazon.com: OPTX 20/20 Stick-On Bifocals, 2.00: Health & Personal Care

but since you wear contacts anyway consider asking your eye doc about monovision for presbyopia. One contact, dominate eye, stays at or near current prescription for distant vision. The other contact is adjusted for near vision. Takes a little patience and a few days to adapt but it actually works rather well. However it does compromise depth perception to some degree.

I have a 2X lens in on the left side of my mask. It was cheap and easy to install. I originally had onse that stayed in with something of a suction cup system, but it did not stay, so I went with the glue in kind. Very easy.

There are and stuartv on SB recommends these

Amazon.com: OPTX 20/20 Stick-On Bifocals, 2.00: Health & Personal Care

but since you wear contacts anyway consider asking your eye doc about monovision for presbyopia. One contact, dominate eye, stays at or near current prescription for distant vision. The other contact is adjusted for near vision. Takes a little patience and a few days to adapt but it actually works rather well. However it does compromise depth perception to some degree.

The stick-on kind look good. (Though I'll have to find something less powerful than 2.50 :wink: It says they attach with water. Do they detach with water also?

The split-contacts idea sounds interesting, but I wouldn't want to put different contacts in different eyes. It is rare for a contact to pop out -- this was literally the only time it has happened to me in 15+ years of diving. But if it were to happen, I would want to have the other in as a backup. In a lot of diving it probably wouldn't make a difference; but with complicated cave navigation (and scootering), it would.

I have a 2X lens in on the left side of my mask. It was cheap and easy to install. I originally had onse that stayed in with something of a suction cup system, but it did not stay, so I went with the glue in kind. Very easy.

Did you use the OPTX HydroTac type?

Did you use the OPTX HydroTac type?
Beats me. I think I put them in 12 years ago to read my instructor slates.

You can get them at pretty much any dive shop.

The stick-on kind look good. (Though I'll have to find something less powerful than 2.50 :wink: It says they attach with water. Do they detach with water also?

The split-contacts idea sounds interesting, but I wouldn't want to put different contacts in different eyes. It is rare for a contact to pop out -- this was literally the only time it has happened to me in 15+ years of diving. But if it were to happen, I would want to have the other in as a backup. In a lot of diving it probably wouldn't make a difference; but with complicated cave navigation (and scootering), it would.
I lost one lens before my first dive. I guess the seal wasn't set well enough. I continued with the single lens but still wasn't satisfied so then I followed my opthomologist advice and went with monovion lens. When I took the one lens off the mask I just dampaned it and pried it up, if I can find it, I 'll sent it to you if you want to try it. I think it was a 1.75 but not sure.

I too use a round glue on 2x lens in my right side. I had eye surgery about 8 years ago and they made my left far and my right near. Best thing I ever did. Now with age my near sightedness has softened up a bit and I use Walmart cheaters to read. So my LDS had these glue on cheaters and the work great...other mt students say I look like a cyborg.

I tried a pair of h2o adhesive cheaters but they washed out of the mask while it was in the dip tank. The glue ons have held 600+ dives and countless time in the pool.

Aqua Lung also makes a mask with snap it prescription lens. I have one with a magnifier on the right side but I haven't used it as much...get going back to my favorite make.

Since you wear contacts, try monovision.
I had the stick-on lenses. Junk.
I had the Seavision mask with the -2.0 diopter in the lower part. eBayed.
Monovision sure works great for me, above and below.

I had these folks put readers into the inside lower corners of my mask. They have been around forever and a day, and seem to still have a great reputation.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

I went to them when I realized that both my arm and my console hose were too short to let me read the gauges :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom