REAL facts about 6351 cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadking

Contributor
Reaction score
For years I have been trying to educate Scubaboard members about cylinder safety and dispel rumors and myths about cylinders. I just "went off" on a poster about 6351 safety and decided a new thread with facts was needed and here they are;

From DOT report; "Measurement of the largest crack at the neck (Figure 17) results in a sub-critical crack extent or “length” of at least 51.7 mm. Using a mean propagation rate of 0.61 x 10-3 mm/hr [10], the time to develop the longest observed crack is estimated to be 9.7 years. A similar calculation performed for the other crack length results in an estimate of 8.3 years. These estimates are a significant fraction of the roughly 13 years that the cylinder was in service, following its first hydrostatic test in 1987."

Report available at;[http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/DownloadableFiles/Files/3al3000.pdf
This one was due to extreme overpressurization; http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/DownloadableFiles/Files/3al2015_57003.pdf

How about that? Real facts! No I think, I heard, just real science. If you have "real science" to the otherwise please post.

p.s. over 7 million 6351 SCUBA cylinders were made.

Last edited:
Unfortunatly the links give me 404 errors.

I was sad when one by one the fill stations refused to fill my old AL 6351 tanks. They did pass hydro and vis every time. Since I used them for just shy of 30 years, and have several other tanks, I was not as PO'ed as a number of other folks I know.

It's a bad rap the tanks have taken but I've done my share of shoveling s**t against the tide.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Unfortunatly the links give me 404 errors.

I was sad when one by one the fill stations refused to fill my old AL 6351 tanks. They did pass hydro and vis every time. Since I used them for just shy of 30 years, and have several other tanks, I was not as PO'ed as a number of other folks I know.

It's a bad rap the tanks have taken but I've done my share of shoveling s**t against the tide.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Bob, the links are fixed.

DonQuixoteWindmill.gif

South West Rocks Dive Center Dive Master looses hand in Scuba Tank Explosion

Man loses leg after gas blast - Local News - News - General - Macleay Argus

This tank was privately owned.
This tank had a current hydro, viz., & eddy current test. These are done annually in Oz.
This tank was made from 6351 alloy.
This tank wasn't overfilled.
The people at SWR will never fill another 6351.
I won't be anywhere near a 6351 tank while it's being filled.
It's a bit like "winning" the lottery; the probabilities are next to nil, but it happens.
Murray is an amazing chap, he was joking about the incident & the outcome just a few weeks ago. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Small correction...there were over 22 million 6351-T6 alloy tanks made - about 7 million of them were scuba or SCBA tanks.

Kern... if you look at the picture in the article you posted, you will note it is a badly rusted steel tank and the pattern of the failure suggests line corrosion. It also is not a scuba tank - it is a larger steel tank most likely used in the shop's air bank or cascade system.

Obviously, given the interior rust, it was not properly inspected and equally obviously, 6351-T6 alloy had nothing to do with this failure - unless by some sort of strange bastardization of physics, 6351-T6 alloy tanks are causing sympathetic detonations of nearby rusty steel cascade system tanks.

You've just taken internet ignornance and the total misrepresentation of facts to a whole new level. My hat's off to you for a (hatchet) job well done. You should consider a career in liberal journalism.

The fact is that there have in fact been zero catastrophic failures of 6351-T6 scuba tanks due to sustained load cracks since the implementation of eddy current/visual plus inspections over 11 years ago. That is zero - as in "0", "Zilch", "Zip", Nada" - since prior to the year 2000.

South West Rocks Dive Center Dive Master looses hand in Scuba Tank Explosion

Man loses leg after gas blast - Local News - News - General - Macleay Argus

This tank was privately owned.
This tank had a current hydro, viz., & eddy current test. These are done annually in Oz.
This tank was made from 6351 alloy.
This tank wasn't overfilled.
The people at SWR will never fill another 6351.
I won't be anywhere near a 6351 tank while it's being filled.
It's a bit like "winning" the lottery; the probabilities are next to nil, but it happens.
Murray is an amazing chap, he was joking about the incident & the outcome just a few weeks ago. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

No doubt a tragic accident. I am sure the regulatory authorities did a thorough investigation. What was the determining cause?

As I was stupid enough to put up a link without vetting it properly, I won't take the personal attack personally. Unfortunately, they've just used a stock photo of an exploded tank, instead of the tank involved in the incident.

Below are safety alerts put out by NSW, & Queensland workcover. They both show the 6351 cylinder that exploded. The Qld one, offers this synopsis;

"Initial investigations by Workcover NSW have indicated that the cylinder was being filled correctly and that the cylinder had had visual, hydrostatic and appropriate non-destructive (eddy current) testing. The cylinder was manufactured in 1983/84."

http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/for...luminum_scuba_cylinders_safety_alert_2217.pdf

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace/publications/alerts/alloy_cylinders/index.htm

I haven't been able to track down a copy of the NSW workcover report on the net. If I can, I'll give them a ring tomorrow & see if it's available.

Last edited:
that pic of the alum tank in Kern's post look like it blew out from the bottom and not at the neck.... just saying....

As I was stupid enough to put up a link without vetting it properly, I won't take the personal attack personally. Unfortunately, they've just used a stock photo of an exploded tank, instead of the tank involved in the incident.

Below are safety alerts put out by NSW, & Queensland workcover. They both show the 6351 cylinder that exploded. The Qld one, offers this synopsis;

"Initial investigations by Workcover NSW have indicated that the cylinder was being filled correctly and that the cylinder had had visual, hydrostatic and appropriate non-destructive (eddy current) testing. The cylinder was manufactured in 1983/84."

http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/for...luminum_scuba_cylinders_safety_alert_2217.pdf

Safety alert - Safe filling of portable aluminium alloy cylinders - Workplace Health and Safety Queensland

I haven't been able to track down a copy of the NSW workcover report on the net. If I can, I'll give them a ring tomorrow & see if it's available.

Kern,

I am not attacking you, I'm trying to have real facts as to the cause of 6351 failures. From all the reports of catastrophic failures of 6351 cylinders I have access to, it shows that PROPER inspections have not been done. If you have access to scientific examinations that indicate otherwise, I welcome them.

Back
Top Bottom