Really Interested in a Pony - What size? How to mount? Other questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... I'll cut the bands in half first. If I do this, I can probably get it back in both if need be and time allowing and situation needing it. ....

Might want to try this first:
BungeePony.jpeg

Replace your top band with a bungee as shown when you are practicing or in a situation where you want to re-stow. Easy, just feel for the tail, pull, grab the knot. Make a loop in your secondary's LP hose and push under the bungee. Just DON'T add those plastic knobs to the bungee ends, they will catch on everything. Only need one bungee, fine for a re-stow.

I have the bungee with me to position the spg. I could always take it off the spg and use it as a temp way to stow as well.

I *JUST* cut the band in half and that's a LOT better. I'm doing a checkout dive with it tonight and have decided to do some task loading by taking my gopro stabilizer rig, which I clip off on the right side. With this in mind, I've converted the pony rig for my left side. I realized the bottom clip was't the same as the top clip and would be hard to confuse with my reel on a drift dive. I'll simulate having a 2nd clipped item on the bottom left tonight and practice un-clipping it.

2wqrk0h.jpg

Your rig looks nice.

I'd replace that bottom gate clip, though.

Two reasons: first, I like everything to operate the same way. In a difficult situation, all you have to do is realize that it is a clip then you KNOW how it operates.

Second, it is easy for a taut line or wire to get unintentionally clipped off to you.

Last edited:
Second, it is easy for a taut line or wire to get unintentionally clipped off to you.
-1 point for not screaming: "Suicide clip- you're going to DIE!!!" at him. :D:D:D

Don't you know the rules of ScubaBoard??? :D:D:D

I guess not. I just realized it this morning that it was different. My LDS put that together :). I'm going to talk to them this week about replacing them with SS clips and having them change that bottom one to something easier to unclip.

...//... My LDS put that together :). ...

A gate clip or butterfly clip makes the pony a bit easier to don. Probably why they put it on. The downsides of that clip outweigh its one little advantage.

I see that you are in Florida, brass is NOT GOOD down there. The a lot of divers don't wear gloves and brass can corrode to leave sharp edges that are irritating. Chrome plating over mild steel is even worse. Just stick with stainless steel for everything. You don't need to use oversize coldwater clips like I use, the standard ones will be fine for you.

...//... I'm going to talk to them this week about replacing them with SS clips ...

Good plan.

...//... change that bottom one to something easier to unclip.

Try to operate that gate-clip with coldwater gloves. :wink:

I dropped it off to have the rig adjusted. I didn't see any SS clips in stock. I wear gloves when I dive, so hopefully the brass won't hurt :). I have a mix of brass and SS clips and the SS holds up better. I don't have any spares large enough to use on the rig, so I'll have to order some. The owner is going to swap that bottom one out and gave me his reason for liking that clip. I told him why I wanted it changed. He said ok and that he'll have it ready in a couple of days. I don't need it for a week, so it works for me.

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 03:53 PM ----------

I almost forgot to mention, I dove with it last night. I was surprised by how easy it was to dive with. Most of the time I didn't even notice it was there. I dove it in only 20 ft of water and found that I had to be conscience of it dragging if I was close to the floor looking for small critters to video. I'll keep diving it, even in shallow depths to get used to it. I slung it on my left and it was very accessible.

Good looking rig but how's it diving? Are you satisfied with your choices? Getting comfortable with it?

Back
Top Bottom