REALLY Need help on choosing a wetsuit guys !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toastman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. This site is great and I've enjoyed reading the threads so far.

I have a question regarding a wetsuit however. I just started diving/spearfishing in Lake St. Francis Near Montreal (where I live) without a wetsuit, but now the temperatures outside are getting cold (15 degress celcius and they will soon hit 10 degrees)

I've checked online to buy wetsuits but theres too many to choose from. Can you guys please suggest me a wetsuit,boots/hoodie for this type of water.

I am not a professional now will I be using it that much, so I don't want anything top of the line. Regular equipment will so.

I also have no clue about anything regarding the size. I am 5'10 and 185lbs.

Thanks guys. and sorry for the newb questions !:D:D

When I went to purchase my first wetsuit I drove around to all the Denver area dive shops and tried on various ones. I really think that is only way to get a feel for what will truly work for you. Otherwise just purchase a bunch of suits from an online store like scubatoys or LeisurePro and then return what does not work for you.

I want to buy online but I don't know what size to use or what mm so that it could handle the cold water

When I went to purchase my first wetsuit I drove around to all the Denver area dive shops and tried on various ones. I really think that is only way to get a feel for what will truly work for you. Otherwise just purchase a bunch of suits from an online store like scubatoys or LeisurePro and then return what does not work for you.

Hi Welcome to Scubaboard! Brrr you're diving in Montreal without an exposure suit?! What are your water temps?

I spent a gazillion dollars on shipping by ordering/returning wetsuits - trying for that perfect glove-like fit. It is much cheaper to know what you want/what fits before you place any orders. Finally picked one dove it in our 10-12C water for one 12 minutes dive & ended up buying a drysuit then never looked back :). -

You live in Montreal, it's cold there ;-)! So before you spend your money, I think it's best to check with the locals to see what they are diving - I'm guessing many are diving dry suits? Trust me, a suit that seems expensive now will later look cheap - when/if you realize you have to replace/sell the first purchase you made at a 50% loss -- just to buy the suit you could have picked up the first time.

Good luck & have fun!

Hi Welcome to Scubaboard! Brrr you're diving in Montreal without an exposure suit?! What are your water temps?

I spent a gazillion dollars on shipping by ordering/returning wetsuits - trying for that perfect glove-like fit. It is much cheaper to know what you want/what fits before you place any orders. Finally picked one dove it in our 10-12C water for one 12 minutes dive & ended up buying a drysuit then never looked back :). -

You live in Montreal, it's cold there ;-)! So before you spend your money, I think it's best to check with the locals to see what they are diving - I'm guessing many are diving dry suits? Trust me, a suit that seems expensive now will later look cheap - when/if you realize you have to replace/sell the first purchase you made at a 50% loss -- just to buy the suit you could have picked up the first time.

Good luck & have fun!

Hey, thanks for the welcome !

Yes it is quite hard diving without a suit this time of year, but I have become somewhat obsessed with it ! I'm not sure what the water temperature is, but I can tell you that after an hour in the water, I can't feel the bottom of my feet !

The thing that scares me about drysuits is the lack of mobility it gives you apparently. Since I will be spearfishing, I need my arms to move around a lot (shooting the gun, tying the fish etc....)

But you are absolutely right, I should just ask the locals what they use there.

Thanks for the responses :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom