really tall diver needs help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcguru

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im 6'6" and 250lbs., and Im interested in a drysuit but I havnt found any manufacturers that have a standard size to fit me, so i suppose i need to go custom..But on a budget....(i know its an oxymoron)
So...are there any tall divers out there that can recommend a compressed neoprene suit, and a good online reseller that does custom sizing..under 1500 would be perfect..I have read numerous articles on the suits but theyve only made me more confused as to what brand I should stick with. I tried on a DUI CLX450 3XL but it was not broad enough at the shoulders, and way to expensive.
My considerations are:
1.I dont want (to much)more lead!! already at 30+lbs and my back is bad
2.Im already having problems with legs being too bouyant due to height
3. replacement seals must be easily obtainable/serviceable (preferably online)
4. capable of diving in cold NJ winter waters.
5. front entry
i have never seen a Bare suit in person but Ive read good things....

Have you ever considered a Viking? The Pro Tech/Combat suits have front zips & come off the rack fitting a 6'6" person.
What's your chest & waist (at the bellybutton) measurements? (might have more chest room than what you need).
A custom cut Poseidon Unisuit [front zip] is within your price range, though they're 6.5mm.
The 5mm compressed Jetsuit may serve you better but it has a rear zip though.
I dove Unisuits back when I lived in NJ, they worked out very well, though a bit warm in the summer 'till I got submerged.

You can probably get a Bare for your price range that meets your target reqs. Contact DiveTank.com.

I would go with Bare and Dive tank.

gcguru:
Im 6'6" and 250lbs., .

I am 6'5" and lets just say around 300 lbs Our dive team recently was able to receive some grant money to purchase dry suits. We elected to go with USIA. While I have not managed a huge number of dives yet, it has been a good suit. I also use mine for swift water rescue as well. I believe that we paid in the vicinity of $1500 and my suit was basically a 3XL if memory serves me correctly. They do offer custom cuts for a reasonable fee as well.

Good luck..

Dan

gcguru:
Im 6'6" and 250lbs., and Im interested in a drysuit but I havnt found any manufacturers that have a standard size to fit me, so i suppose i need to go custom..But on a budget....(i know its an oxymoron)
So...are there any tall divers out there that can recommend a compressed neoprene suit, and a good online reseller that does custom sizing..under 1500 would be perfect..I have read numerous articles on the suits but theyve only made me more confused as to what brand I should stick with. I tried on a DUI CLX450 3XL but it was not broad enough at the shoulders, and way to expensive.
My considerations are:
1.I dont want (to much)more lead!! already at 30+lbs and my back is bad
2.Im already having problems with legs being too bouyant due to height
3. replacement seals must be easily obtainable/serviceable (preferably online)
4. capable of diving in cold NJ winter waters.
5. front entry
i have never seen a Bare suit in person but Ive read good things....
Contact United Divers of Somerville, Mass. (617)-666-0410
They have a Bare HD Tech tri-lam size 3xl that was used only 4 times. It's not a neoprene, but it's a fantastic deal as the suit retails for over $1800 and they are asking only $700. I have sent you a private email with some size info.

My buddy recently purchase a Pinnacle Drysuit. It's NOT a NEO suit, but their TriLam Evolution I believe. It's NICE and includes some things standard that others don't like a pocket on the leg. Several of the instructors have these at the LDS I use, and they seem very well made.

My buddy is about 6'4" and I'm *guessing* close to 300lbs. IOW's he's a big boy. Pinnacle was at the LDS for a show, and they measured him up, and made a tailored suit that fit out of the box. It was about a four week delivery, and with a nice underwear I think he paid about $1400. You should check them out.

HERE is the link.

He did get a front zip even if the images show are of a rear entry suit. There are a few places that do drysuit repair online. I don't think getting new seals is a big issue for most drysuits out there. If you want the user replaceable seals, plan on spending a lot more than $1500 from what I've seen out there.

lobsta_diver:
Contact United Divers of Somerville, Mass. (617)-666-0410
They have a Bare HD Tech tri-lam size 3xl that was used only 4 times. It's not a neoprene, but it's a fantastic deal as the suit retails for over $1800 and they are asking only $700. I have sent you a private email with some size info.

Boy, let me know when they have THAT deal in a size Large! :D

Back
Top Bottom