Rear dump valve failure - Expediant repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R

redacted

I purchased a new light weight BP/W for travel and after a couple dives at home took it on a trip to Bonaire. Second dive of the 3rd day I gave the rear pull dump a tug (I usually use the shoulder dump) and the entire device came off in my hand. The inner connector had broken. We continued the dive and I eventually handed off 2 of my 8 lb of weight to my wife so I was OK with the wing empty. I had decided I'd be OK diving it for the rest of the trip as my buoyancy was perfect with 6 lb and I could air up the wing if I needed to by going vertical. But at lunch, I decided I'd give the green duct tape (Army type) in my save-a-dive kit a shot. It did not adhere well to the fabric but did adhere quite well to the rubber reinforcing ring around the opening so I trimmed it to fit better. (Otherwise, such excessive neatness is not really my style.) I did not air it up much as we spent very little time on the surface. but I did air it up 90% or so when I got home and it still held.

Pictures of the broken valve, the patch job, and the hole with patch removed.

Duct tape - don't leave home without it.

Attachments

• 29July08 024.jpg
    29July08 024.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 29July08 025.jpg
    29July08 025.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 29July08 027.jpg
    29July08 027.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 84
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back