Rebreather Tryout...June 29th, near Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gill Envy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I attended a rebreather tryout about two and a half years ago... I was like a kid in a candy shop! It was very exciting to get a good look at each model and to take each one for a spin in a pool and get to talk to folks who have a lot of first hand experience. Even if you never buy one, it's a great opportunity to get an up close and personal perspective and totally worth the nominal fee, which is about the cost of a magazine subscription and hey, you actually get one included (and a pretty amazing magazine at that!). Getting some basic first hand experience helped make it clear to me that I wanted to take the plunge and get into this amazing sport.

I've been hearing about this next event and wanted to make sure folks know about it:

2 hour classroom session on rebreathers
Lunch
4 hrs in the pool trying out different rebreathers
1 yrs Free subscription to Advanced Diver Magazine
cost: $39

you can get more info here: Silent Scuba Home
I've trained with Mel and Curt and they make a great instructor team!

If you've been wanting to get your feet wet in the world of rebreathers, come check this event out!

george

I heard about this, and I would have been very excited to go, except we're going to be out of town that weekend.

Mel is an excellent instructor and very knowledgeable diver. She has active experience on several different units and it is money well spent to spend a day with her.

At the same time, I would caution a potential buyer NOT to make purchase decisions at an event like this. A short spin in the pool will help you fall in love with a harness or the rebreather that fits you best. Unfortunately it is a few days into training before you can really get a true feel for a rig.

Mel will point out the things you should look at to find a rebreather that is right for your diving goals, just don't weight the brief swimming experience too heavily since a pound or two of excess weight or poor trim on a rig can make it feel unmanageable.

Jill

I would second Jill's wise words! the pool experience is just one part of a much larger realm of considerations... the best advice i've heard is "take your time".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom