rec Decompression out of the DIR forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lomont:
I think this is what I'm trying to ask. I'm looking for what we can take from emergent theories about decompression coming from dual-phase models or the WKPP and what can be applied to NDL diving within rec limits. One of the examples of that is the shift to stops at 30, 20, 10. Can we re-examine how we do surface intervals and penalties for reverse profiles based on this emergent information? Can we teach multi-level decompression diving to NDL divers so they don't have to buy computers?

First off we're talking recreational dives which are in theory within the no-stop limits. Notice I didn't say NDL or no decompression limits. That's because if you get compressed you will decompress. ok?

Lets first address the idea of deeper stops whether the NAUI (rule of halves) or stops at 30, 20 and 10. I see 2 benefits. One is learning to do the stops. The second is the fact that we're stopping deeper which the bubble models suggest is a good idea. Without going into a bunch of detail all else being equal a higher ambient pressure will keep a bubble smaller. Note, I said all else being equal.

Why bother on a rec dive when we have a table in our bag that says we can ascend directly to the surface at 60 fpm?

My answer is that we know from doppler testing that there will be bubbles after a dive. Maybe a problem and maybe not but what about the next dive? What about your second or third day of multiple dives in a row? As far as I'm concerned less bubbles and smaller bubbles is better.

So...even though a table only considering max depth and total time might assign a pretty high pressure group the fact is that if some of that time was spent shallow you could surface pretty clean and if we do it right we can address bubble growth which the table doesn't know anything about. You decompressed more in the water, under pressure, rather than on the surface at 1 ATA even though the tables or your computer told you that you could go to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom