Reccomendations For Dayboat From Port Douglas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R.Soper

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

We are looking at doing a day trip out of Port Douglas on the 01/02/2009, we are looking for a boat which is not a cattle truck, and ideally does not cater for your 'discover scuba' type divers, or snorkellors, but is more for serious divers. Also it would be good if you are not forced to do the 'guided dive' thing, but can go off on your own.

We were thinking of Posiedon, but their boat is out of the water, and suggestions?

Thanks.

We did a dive excursion on the Quick Silver Sonic out of Port
Douglas in 2006. The reef is a long way away (1 1/2 hours by high speed ferry.)
We could not find smaller boats like in the Caribbean. The large ferry boat was
amazingly comfortable. Their are tables and seats and plenty of room to walk around.
This operator does not pack his boat to capacity. They do have snorklers aboard. We opted to snorkel on the third stop. There were several divemasters on board and they split us into groups by levels
of experience.

Silver Sonic was the best dive experience we have ever had. A light Breakfast was
waiting when we boarded. After our second dive, lunch was a gourmet meal that included
hot soup (which was nice after being in cool water) and the largest Prawns I'ver ever seen.

The Great Barrier Reef is all that you've heard. We really wanted to see some giant clams,
so one of the dive spots, they made sure we saw some. They get a A+++++++.

Did both Haba and Poseidon out of PD a couple of years ago. Both are pretty much cattle boats. Divers were outnumbered by snorklers and discover scuba. As I recall there were 15 divers on the boat and 35 others. My recollection is that both hold approximately 50 people.

Having said that I did enjoy both with a slight preference for Poseidon as being slightly more diver focused and less "cattle like". Convinced me that a liveaboard on the GBR was something I wanted to do so took a three day Fly/Dive with Mike Ball - great trip. WAY better diving than the day trips.

Back
Top Bottom