Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was wet again today. Got 57* TUSA on all three dives today. Viz was pushing 30 but dropping.

Our great viz is on life support. It was very evident in the night dive tonight. The "string" algae is starting to suspend. I saw some of the same "clouds" the above poster. Significantly more and bigger than Monday.

Bass are in early spawn mode.

I am back in the lake this weekend both days. I will update then.

Just wrapped up a couple of stellar night dives at Vista Point. Surface temp was 57* & 52* at 75 feet. There's a couple thermoclines you'll pass through and the temp differences are noticeable. Viz was 30-40ft in most places but the algae bloom is starting to kick up which will only make the viz worse in the coming weeks & months.

The bass are in major defensive mode. I had one repeatedly charge at me, head on for the first ten minutes of the dive. It was rather entertaining. Once I flicked him on the nose he decided to leave me alone after that.

The BladeRunner line is intact as mentioned above. I had to confirm for my own self knowledge.

Anybody up for diving after 3pm today (Friday)? Maybe an afternoon/evening dive and a night dive? PM me if you can do it.

Had a great company today, with scubasteve2000 and his friend, Mark.
Done one dive only (ther two stayed for two more).
My guess: scubasteve2000 will give another update.

Anyway, we dove same route I did with milkmood last time.
Vis: awesome. Temp: 12C (~54f), shallow 17C (~63f).
Takes for the company. I really had a great time.

Saw couple of longmouth bass.
Amazing how they don't run away, even when getting close by.
Wish I had a camera with me, but this time I wanted to concentrate on guiding the dive.

Buddy Mark J and I met Gilad today for some awsome diving at Desert Tortoise. There were several divers set up by the time we got there. It was really Diver Central for a while.
We could see that Beismeyer point was pretty busy with divers too. Tis the season. Vis was starting to deteriorate a bit but we still had 30+ feet. Temp was 57 VT3 degrees at depth, 63º near the surface.

We shared an awsome dive with Gilad. To start we did a very long surface swim but it was worth it. After we got a ways away from the other groups, the vis really opened up.
We swam out past the second island and set our dive bouy. This would be where they hold open water classes in the fall. From there Gilad led us east until we came to a trench. It's been a while since I dove out there but as I recall I dubbed it the Maranara Trench back in '07. You can pick it up off of Two Cow Cove and take it as far as you can.

We followed the trench until we hit our turn pressure. Than Gilad led us up and out of the trench until we got to the island. Then is was a simple matter of following the bottom contour to the depth where we started, then swim along the island until we found where the dive bouy was anchored.

We retrived the bouy and were slogging through the long surface swim back when I thought, "Screw this. I have 800 PSI left. I can scuba back." Gilad seemed to have the same idea at the same time because we both descended and followed the road back.

We had a wonderfull dive. Stayed together and stayed safe.

Gilad had to leave but Mark and I were going to do a couple more dives. The next dive was rather disappointing. We followed the wall on the left side of DT. Saw a few fishes but not too many. Since we silted the wall like no tomorrow we had to swim back over the long boring road. Did I mention there wasn't a lot to see that trip?

Our third dive was pretty cool. We decided to pass in front of the first island at a heading of 130 degrees. Almost immediately we dropped into a rocky area. We were swimming along the edge of the first island. It made me think of an underwater knee just off the island. On the island side, to our left were rocks. To our right it droppped off a bit then was a gradual slope ever downward. We joined the Marinara trench again and followed it until I hit my turn pressure. Mark started with a cave fill while I started with a short fill. Mental note to ALWAYS check the pressure when I pick up my tanks.

In any event, when we turned, I led us back on the reciprical heading but since we had followed the trench for a bit we were about 100 yards south of where we started. After a peek topside to verify that we were where I thought we were (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) we paralelled DT Road until we came to my bouy again. Along the way we came across a red eyed bass that just wasn't going to let us near his spawning area. Nose to mask. It was an aquarian standoff.

It was good to get back into the water again after 3 whole weeks. That's a long and grumpy surface interval for me. Next weekend we'll be in San Diego diving the Yukon and Coronado Island on the Humbolt.

After that we'll see you at the lake.

Steve.

We retrived the bouy and were slogging through the long surface swim back when I thought, "Screw this. I have 800 PSI left. I can scuba back." Gilad seemed to have the same idea at the same time because we both descended and followed the road back.

Steve.

I had like 1400PSI left, but it's not an issue.
I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Great write-up, Steve! :clapping:

How deep does the "Maranara Trench" get?

Great write-up, Steve! :clapping:

How deep does the "Maranara Trench" get?

I didn't have the opportunity to expore it that much, but our dive was max of 17.7m (~55-60f), and the time I went with milkmood we were about 22m (~65f).
also, you want to take into consideration that the water level is lower during the summer time (just started to get lower).

BTW: There are many other things to explore at this lake, but you need to be extra careful.
e.g: I still remember that beautiful dive I did with Steve Nichols @ Feb2009 to that sewage outlet hose ~100f. Hey, don't try to get in !!!

Another day at Pleasant, Vista Point. water around 55 degrees Vis dropping. Still 20-25 feet in some places but significantly less in others.

Didn't spend a lot of time looking around today, it was an educational trip. My backup computer is much more conservative than the one I dive. SO I decided to dive my main computer to the NDL, thus putting my backup into Deco, then follow the PDIS (deep stops) on my main computer and see if it filled the deco obligation of my backup. It did.

After that, a short SI kept my second dive fairly short. Went and played around the buoyancy course for a few then back to the truck for the ride home.

Jeff

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom