Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hung with a tech class today at "tech island" off the Scubateers boat. The wall is a really nice dive. It starts around 35' and bottoms at about 98'. MAX depth was 115'. The wall has several overhangs and a lot to explore. The thermal was at 52' and got down to 60 degrees.

Bob

Hung with a tech class today at "tech island" off the Scubateers boat. The wall is a really nice dive. It starts around 35' and bottoms at about 98'. MAX depth was 115'. The wall has several overhangs and a lot to explore. The thermal was at 52' and got down to 60 degrees.

Bob

What's the vis like there? Near Beismeyer Point the vis drops to zero at around 40 feet. Even with a dive light the water is so murky that you can't read your compass or gauges. Is it that bad there at Tech Island off the boat? I'm thinking about doing the boat dive off tech Island or the old dam but frankly, I don't want to spend the money if I won't be able to see my hand in front of my face.

Steve.

Bill (PhxSki) and I dove the far reaches of DT road. For those keeping score at home the GPS coordinates (acording to my trusty "Fish-N-Map") are around 33 degrees 51.60' by 112 degrees 17.18'. On the map its in about 60' of water but this time of year its high and dry. With the lake level so low there are a lot of dive sites now that won't be available later on except by boat. This is one of them. We were directly in line with and due north of the 10-lane boat ramp.

Vis was surprisingly good. Well, better than last weekend at BP anyway. We enjoyed about 10'-12' vis most of the time. It was a new area to both of us so we did a couple of large square patterns just to get a feel of the place. We needed lights below about 40 feet. We hit a thermocline at about 48'. The deepest we got was 58 feet on both dives. Temperature most of the time was 75 degrees. The thermocline was cooler but I haven't had a chance to download my computer to see what it registered. We didn't stay below the thermocline for long.

After our dives were done I checked out the Scorpion Bay Marina just for grins. The gates were closed but there were a couple of cars in the parking lot. There isn't a good way to get to the shore so it looks like it you'd need a boat to dive the bay anymore.

Next I went up to the northern enternace. It looks like there would be some good shore diving near the 4-lane boat ramp. The boating season is really slowing down now so there were only a handfull of boats using the ramp. There are some really nice (read "easy") enterance points to the far right of the ramp.

That's the nice thing about diving this time of year. There are so many "new" dive spots that we probably won't have time to try them all before they start filling the lake again. Then we won't see them again until next fall. And now you can walk the areas that you were diving a few months ago and "scout" out the topography for when you will be finning instead of walking.

Steve.

Bill (PhxSki) and I dove the far reaches of DT road. For those keeping score at home the GPS coordinates (acording to my trusty "Fish-N-Map") are around 33 degrees 51.60' by 112 degrees 17.18'. On the map its in about 60' of water but this time of year its high and dry. With the lake level so low there are a lot of dive sites now that won't be available later on except by boat. This is one of them. We were directly in line with and due north of the 10-lane boat ramp.

Vis was surprisingly good. Well, better than last weekend at BP anyway. We enjoyed about 10'-12' vis most of the time. It was a new area to both of us so we did a couple of large square patterns just to get a feel of the place. We needed lights below about 40 feet. We hit a thermocline at about 48'. The deepest we got was 58 feet on both dives. Temperature most of the time was 75 degrees. The thermocline was cooler but I haven't had a chance to download my computer to see what it registered. We didn't stay below the thermocline for long.

After our dives were done I checked out the Scorpion Bay Marina just for grins. The gates were closed but there were a couple of cars in the parking lot. There isn't a good way to get to the shore so it looks like it you'd need a boat to dive the bay anymore.

Next I went up to the northern enternace. It looks like there would be some good shore diving near the 4-lane boat ramp. The boating season is really slowing down now so there were only a handfull of boats using the ramp. There are some really nice (read "easy") enterance points to the far right of the ramp.

That's the nice thing about diving this time of year. There are so many "new" dive spots that we probably won't have time to try them all before they start filling the lake again. Then we won't see them again until next fall. And now you can walk the areas that you were diving a few months ago and "scout" out the topography for when you will be finning instead of walking.

Steve.

Steve,

I am looking for some one to dive with at Pleasant most any day or weekend, I previously did dives with DiveAholic from Tucson, but he moved to FL. Are you or anyone you know planing to do shore dives there soon?

Don

Steve,

I am looking for some one to dive with at Pleasant most any day or weekend, I previously did dives with DiveAholic from Tucson, but he moved to FL. Are you or anyone you know planing to do shore dives there soon?

Don

Hey Don,

I can't make it this weekend but 10/18 looks good. There are some people that are looking for dive buddies in another thread though. Hope you can hook up with somebody. Later,

Steve.

I'd like to get out there the weekend of the 18th as well. Hopefully some of those that attend my Meet and Greet will come diving that weekend too.

I'm looking to do 3 dives this Saturday.

Dove the old dam Saturday...went out on the scubateers boat with captain Rob.
I got to dive with Gene for the first time... I had a great time... The dam is always impressive when you get up close and personal.
1st dive we went to the west and dropped down along the north side down into the abyss!! We got to the bottom at about 94ft...and then followed the rocky bottom down close to the dam until we hit 124ft....we made our way up the dam looking at all the neat crevices and structure... the thermocline was about 55ft and at 80 it got real dark...the vis seemed to open up at about 90 ft and with good dive lights we could see very well...
The temp was 58 at depth but with a 7mil or semi dry it wasn't to bad.

Our second dive we went back to the east and dropped down to about 90 feet were we went to the south side of the dam into an indent...we took some vid and pictures there and then preceded to the north side where there were a couple ropes that dropped down the face of the dam....before long we hit 131 and decided to go back up when my computer said DECO...ok so this wasn't a No Deco dive...but we had plenty of air and made our way up enjoying the structure of the dam and did a deco and back on the boat...vis was good even at the top of the dam...it did open up at depth and with good lights we were able to see very well...This dive at depth we hit 57 deg.

All in all, a great day for diving the dam....all of us had a great time and our host "Rob" treated us great...

If you haven't dove the dam yet it is a great dive for advanced divers...just remember it is deep on both sides of the dam, at depth it is dark and cold...you need to have good buoyancy control and some deep dives logged before you venture to deep.... Lots of fun and lots to see!!!

2 Dives at Desert Tortoise Road on Saturday Morning
(ran into Rudebob and ScubaSteve. Good to see you)
Site: Did north side of far island at the end of Desert Tortoise Road.
Visibility: Minimal. There was a lot of silt on the bottom of this site. If you put your hend down, it would go up past your wrist. There was a little chop on the lake and that was kicking up the silt.
Water Temp: 72 Oceanic Degrees - Comfortable in a 3MM and Heated Wetsuit Belt
Depth: We never made it past 30' here. We looked, but it was a long swim to 30'.

2 Dives at Vista Point on Sunday Morning
Site: Dove the end of the rock road that winds down past the point. Gotta love 4 wheel drive.
Visibility: Better than DT Road. I would say 5 to 10 feet. There was a little chop on the lake as well. When the sun came up higher, it provided better visibility on the second dive.
Water Temp: 72 Oceanic Degrees
Depth: Made it to about 40' here. Was diving with some new divers and didn't see any purpose to go deeper. Visibility really got poor.

Dyvfiend. Great diving with you -- as usual. Bob and Cody ... Congrats on your certification!

/////

Back
Top Bottom