Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to report a great day of diving with the Scubateers. We dove the Dam and Tec Island. Vis was decent from 10-20 feet and water temps were in the 70's. In the deeper water there were at least two thermoclines: the first around 50 feet or so and the second at about 80 feet. Near the thermoclines the vis was sketchy. Both the Dam and Tec Island are awesome dives. South of the Dam we followed a broken ride that cliffed in places. Navigation was easy, given you just needed to turn and follow the ridge back to the Dam. The Dam is really interesting and offers lots of navigation options and really deep water if you want it.

Tec Island is one of my favorite dive sites. There is something for every one: tiered cliffs drop off the east side of the island into deep water. The beauty of it is that you can choose any tier you want so its a great dive site for all abilities and super interesting. All-in-all a great day at the lake. Thank you, Rob and the Scubateers.

PD

I went out yesterday with the Scubateers and as pdelannoy says it was a great time. It was my first time diving the dam and it was as good as I have heard. At 100' I found the temp to be 67 and I guess about 15-20' of vis. For me the upper part of the dam made for more interesting photography.

We went to Tec Island for our second dive. Another first for me. A great place for a photographer to play around. I stayed a bit more shallow here as I pushed my limits on the dam. LOL stupid photographers need to pay attention to the dive computer :)

These are certainly on my list to do again

Steve

I think I saw you guys. I'm not to familiar with the regular dive boats at Pleasant but there was a big pontoon that came in near where myself and three of my kids were diving.
It was Sat morning and we had a dive flag on the bow of the pontoon and I had one on my yellow float. We were spearfishing for striper's but with two full days of diving we came back empty handed.
My brother in-law lost my polespear and I'm going to be out there next Fri or Sat looking for it. He lost it shooting at a carp in 40' of water with the bottom at a steep incline and I spent the next 30 minutes freediving to and past 60' with no luck.
We had a scuba diver on board the first day and he said the thermocline was down past 60', vis was from 15'-25' above 35' below that it was in the '5-10' range, temps were 75 at the surface, still no suit needed.

I had the rare pleasure of diving with my oldest son, Matt and his wife Jen last Saturday. We joined a group of ne'er-do-wells (just kidding) on the Scubateer's dive boat. As always, Rob and Aaron were great hosts. Among others on board were our good friends Stnichols, his nephew and Sea Princess.

We headed out to the breach on the old dam. After a dive briefing we donned our gear and splashed in. I realized someplace between giant and stride that I hadn't inflated my BC. No worries. I'll hit the ol' inflator button. What IS that strange gurgling noise? Why am I still having to kick to keep from descending? Hit inflator again. More gurgling. More kicking. Something was amiss. Swam over to the boat and Aaron told me that my inflator hose had come unscrewed where it went into the BC.

I was wearing my 3mm and only ten pounds of weights so I wasn't in imminent danger. After handing up my new bright yellow fins I started up the ladder with a BC full of water. I learned something very important. While water is neutrally buoyant in water. It's dang heavy when you're trying to scamper up the ladder on a dive boat. Talk about water weight gain.

We inspected the BC and found that the seal between the inflator hose and the BC bladder went diving when the hose came off. We tightened it up as best we could and I gave it a try. I keep very little if any air in my BC when at depth. Even though the seal was missing the leak was pretty minimal and didn't even show up until my BC was well inflated. Not an optimal situation but since I was already in the water again... :D

The dam was great. Some very cool folks had strung a line across the breach. Sans that and it would have been a 240+ foot midwater swim in low vis. My kind of diving but that's me. Matt and Jen appreciated the line. I called for a pressure check before we started across. I was the low guy (wonder why).

There were a few divers hanging out at the far side of the breach when we got there. The structure of the dam is awsome. We stayed on the shallow side and descended more or less as a group to about 95 feet as we swam along at a 30 degree heading. I obviously kept a keen eye on my presure and turned with my two dive buddies after using 1/3 of my beginning pressure. There we immediately ascended to the top of the dam, about 65 feet, and followed it back to the breach. Called for another pressure check. Everything looked good so on we went. The anchor line was tied off at the west end of the breach where we started our ascent to safety stop depth. Matt had requested an extended safety stop so we hung out at 20 feet for five minutes. All I needed was an occasional toot of my inflator button to control my buoyancy all through the dive. Obviously I wouldn't have continued if the leak was too bad.

Next dive was at Tec Island. Here we decided to stay shallow and check out all the nooks and crannies around the boat. The vis at Tec Island was great. We probably had near 30 foot vis in some areas. We saw several schools of fish. Steve got some dandy pictures. We looked for the swim through but couldn't find it. Maybe next time.

I would like to report a great day of diving at Vista Point. Remarkably, I was the only diver under brilliant skies in 86 degree weather. Visibility near shore was good at around 20 feet and water temps at 72F.

On my first dive I went to the rail: 330 degrees off shore and picked up the rail up at 52 feet. I followed the rail out to 98 feet. I hit the thermocline at 68 feet and the temps dropped to 66F as did the visibility. I recently saw a post that suggested great visibility along the rail into the deeps. The visibility was really bad and no different than it was three weeks ago. Past 91 feet I couldn't see my gauges (even with a light) and literally pulled myself along the rail. I turned around at 98 feet. I don't know how anyone could hope to follow the rail as described in the post but maybe the conditions were really different on that day.

On my second dive I took a line at 270 degrees until I hit the wall and then followed the wall beyond where it ends into the trees. Vis was perhaps 5 feet at the deepest part (91 feet).

The water level seems to be up a few feet but it is a long walk down to the water from the parking area. The boat traffic seemed lower than in past weeks. In all, it was a great day of diving.

See you out there.

PD

PS. Hey Azspero: Yea, I definitely saw one of your party nearby that day.

Last edited:
Hi Pete,

Sounds like a great day of diving. We were over at DT road. Had similar conditions. Couldn't get as deep.

Thinking about an afternoon dive tomorrow over at Vista Point.

John

Hey John,

Wish I could, but I have to work. I found a weight that belongs to you. I'll drop it by the shop.

PD

Dive buddy Bill and I dove off Burro Island yesterday (Saturday) morning. This was the maiden dive with my new BC. We were almost directly across from the 10-lane boat ramp. The vis was surprisingly good. We went over 60 feet deep but didn't need a dive light unless we wanted to peek into a crawdad nest to see if anybody was home.

The new BC was great. The only problem was that I locked my keys in the van. By the time AAA showed up it was to late to get a second dive in. So, we'll have to go diving next Saturday too.

Awesome day of diving at Vista Point. I arrived at 8:30 a.m. to find a glassy lake with a water level that is up. Two kayakers and few if any boats. A blue heron stood where we usually enter the water. Vis in the shallows was at least 30 feet. Following a bearing of 330 degrees, the top of the wall is at 34 feet. Water temps were 70F in the shallows. Vis decreased following the wall down and in the deeps was 2-5 feet and water temps at 66F. The thermocline was not well defined.

I'll be out again tomorrow.

PD

Great day of diving at Vista Point 10-21-09. Choppy conditions due to wind overnight cut the vis in half from yesterday: 10-15 feet in the shallows. Zero below 70 feet. Water temps were 70F in the shallows and 66F below 70 feet. Very quiet day again. Only a couple boats. I saw the Scubateers out at the dam-the only other divers that I saw.

PD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom