Recognition of agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NB DIVER

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There are a number of certification agencies and they seem to be concentrated in different parts of the world. I am taking my certification through ACUC and was curious do agencies recognise certification from their counter parts. I guess what I'm asking is this. Having a c card from one agency and diving at a location affiliated with another will that certification be recognised as being a valid diver cert and allow me to dive there?? If not what steps need to be taken to ensure the ability to dive in these locations?

Fear not. ACUC is essentially universally recognized. On the remote chance that you run into an un-enlightened dive operator, you could always show some of your ACUC literature. And/or you could point out that ACUC is a member of the World Recreational Scuba Training Council WRSTC Member Councils.

There are 50+ independent scuba certifying agencies worldwide, and 50+ more that are associated with CMAS. Yet it is very rarely that one hears of a certification card not being recognized.

As the person in charge of getting the word out about SEI I have sent over one hundred emails to ops and resorts around the world so far ( still have alot to go) and have recevied exactly two that wanted more info. As soon as we sent them an outline of our course structure and training methods, as well as informed them of the name of our insurance carrier, we were welcomed with open arms. I have even spoken to ops that have been seeing alot of what they call "weird" cert cards from Europe:confused:. They have all been accepted. Worst case is that you may need to do a checkout dive with a person from their op. If one is properly trained then this is no biggie. I myself welcome these "tests"! Drop in, clear mask, get neutral with out having to touch the bottom, back fin across the pool or for 30 or 40 feet in ow, do few helicopter turns, and that usually takes care of it:cool2:. Especially if the checkout guy has to "fin pivot" to get his buoyancy tuned in.:shocked2:

I guess what I'm asking is this. Having a c card from one agency and diving at a location affiliated with another will that certification be recognised as being a valid diver cert and allow me to dive there?? If not what steps need to be taken to ensure the ability to dive in these locations?

If this question comes up with clients I usually equate it to a driver's license. Just replace c card or certification with license, references to diving with driving, and agency with state (or province in your case).

Back
Top Bottom