Recommend Redundant Air Supply Tank Size & Setup for Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2xAL80s in side mount is the most flexible setup as you can rent them anywhere

The first makes me wonder if the articulated joints were waterproof. I can't see how they would be.

Leather leather leather mate like a pushbike pump and other things that seal with leather

and my o2 booster that seals the pumping piston with leather

WYAAAgFY6-A-960.jpg

Perfect!

2xAL80s in side mount is the most flexible setup as you can rent them anywhere

Yeah great but sidemount with bottles loosely hooked to you not firmly affixed it's not diving it's just rubbish

Unless you're swimming in a cup of tea dangerously rubbish

Not if you have appropriate skills for the weather conditions you face. Pony bottles on slings are also lose depending on your definition.

Yeah great but sidemount with bottles loosely hooked to you not firmly affixed it's not diving it's just rubbish Unless you're swimming in a cup of tea dangerously rubbish

Not if you have appropriate skills for the weather conditions you face. Pony bottles on slings are also lose depending on your definition.
The OP is diving off a non-dive boat with a basic non-diving swim or waterskiing ladder. They're rooting around solo in 30-60ft on the bottom of a Texas lake for sunglasses. They asked about a pony bottle with the option of moving into technical diving in the future. An al30 or a 40 totally suits their needs now and gives room to grow into it as a deco bottle someday.

Sidemount is not the solution to every diving problem.

Same weight as an 80, a tiny bit more air, better boyancy, lower profile and perfectly balanced. Go with LP 50s of you need more air.

Attachments

• 20210815_161812.jpg
    20210815_161812.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 73
The OP is diving off a non-dive boat with a basic non-diving swim or waterskiing ladder. They're rooting around solo in 30-60ft on the bottom of a Texas lake for sunglasses. They asked about a pony bottle with the option of moving into technical diving in the future. An al30 or a 40 totally suits their needs now and gives room to grow into it as a deco bottle someday.

Sidemount is not the solution to every diving problem.
Great to have different perspectives. In these conditions, I would go with 80s in side mount which can also be the first step in tech diving.

When buying a pony, I would also consider buoyancy of the different tanks.
FWIW, the buoyancy of a full AL40 is -0.75 lb and an AL19 is -1.3 lb. (Both Luxfers.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom