Recommendation for affordable and simple video editing software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come to find out neither of my machines are beefy enough to run the Power director 9 that I wasted $100 on...stoopid me..sigh. So I've been using the Adobe Premier Elements 9. So far so good, I've been editing clips, splicing and color correction. It's pretty user friendly so far :) Which is a huge plus for me...LOL

OK...here's my first effort using Adobe Premiere Elements 9. I'm a noob...so I might have over/under baked it, or screwed up in a variety of ways... but... I do like the program :)

Roatan Dolphins with Loree on Vimeo

Last edited:
Surprised that Adobe Premiere Elements will work on a non-beefy machine. I have dual and quad core processors and I've found it to be pretty slow, especially when running more than one app and switching windows. Takes "forever."

Have switched pretty much to Vegas Movie Studio now that I've climbed up the fairly steep learning curve a bit. It handles everything from my digitized old analog footage to my current AVCHD stuff pretty well.

Tried most of them, have a MacBook Pro dual core Leopard and Asus i7 62bit gaming notebook running Win7. Seem to be gravitating to Cyberlink Powerdirector 9 on the Win 7 as goto program. Powerdirector 64 bit is the only Windows software that runs on 64 bit and the video rendering is noticeably quicker. Some of the templates are a little cheezy but customizable. Like Sony Vegas but title generation seems a little hard to learn. Adobe, should go in recycle bin except, love how it will auto correct pictures in a batch file. Powerdirector 9 comes with royalty free music generator, smart sound and has basic library, so does Sony Vegas (different software)

iMovie is still a really easy and quick way to get a video from your clips and the new trailer templates are fun. Also found that I could get SmartSound's express free program for Mac OS and copy the Cyberdirector sound loops and load in the mac and then make custom music loops for iMovie. Tried FinalCut Express and it was a little complicated but possibilities are almost endless and like the wireframe feature. iMovie makes better slideshows, in my opinion, some throw in too much "Ken Burns" effects, IMHO.

What I usually do is make clips and output to highest h.264 movie possible and then use Quicktime v7.x with the $30 pro upgrade to render down for web, will make a SD and HD version and also phone version plus thumbnail. I started quicktime rendering for web on both the Win 64 bit gaming notebook and the MacBook Pro at about the same time and the Win 7 64bit took about half as much time. (if you want to use the QT Pro on MAc, you have to install version 7.x from the install CD)

You can get a topend Win7 i7 gaming computer and Powerdirector 9 or 10 for $1,000 less than a topend MacBook Pro, wish I had know this before I bought the Mac.

Last edited:
Here is a clip I put together from the footage I took yesterday using Corel Video Studio Pro X4.

Camera setup:
Sony HDR-cx550
Light and Motion Blue Fin Pro Housing
Light and Motion Sunray 2000x lights
Light and Motion 45 degree wet lens

[video=youtube;pB_XitBtlpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB_XitBtlpw[/video]

--Dave

***EDIT***

Looks like it can use the video cards for encoding and decoding. The only method they list to tell if it will work or not is if the options are grayed out. I can check on the nvidia devices tonight. I don't have anything AMD anymore.

--Dave

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom