Recommendation for affordable and simple video editing software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far I have been rather happy playing with kdenlive, although I must admit I have no idea if it runs on Mac or Windows (I don't use either one). The price is free though, so no complaints there.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Im shooting a little JVC Picsio doing 720HD. I purchased PowerDirector9 and so far am highly dissapointed with it. Now mind you, this might be a case of operator error...:D When I researched editing progs, it was the highest reccomended on a few reviews. My 2 problems with it are, it doesn't seem to want to deal with the mpeg4 files, everytime I try to import one it shuts the program down. Two, there is no color correction I can find. :depressed: Maybe I should have researched better, or am I missing something?

Same as OP... what prog will do Color correction and splicing/editing of mpeg4 files? Gracias :D

Dazzle works great! Cheap and comes with an adapter to hook up to just about anything. I think I spent 89.00 when I bought mine 5yrs ago. I hear the new ones are even better :wink:

Dazzle works great! Cheap and comes with an adapter to hook up to just about anything. I think I spent 89.00 when I bought mine 5yrs ago. I hear the new ones are even better :wink:

Does it do both editing/splicing and color correction? And works with mpeg4 files? Thanks :)

More info for you, reviews of packages. If your computer & OS support 64-bit, I'd look for 64-bit version as it will be able to use the additional memory (if your computer has more than 4 GB RAM)

Video Editing - Reviews and Price Comparisons from PC Magazine

This link has nice comparison table.
Video Editing Software Review 2011 | Video Editor Software | Video Editing - TopTenREVIEWS

This review is one of the ones I looked at that sold me on PowerDirector9. It says it has color correction... guess I better figure it out...LOL. Although the prob remains with the importing of mpeg4 files that shuts it down, which it says it supports.

Does it do both editing/splicing and color correction? And works with mpeg4 files? Thanks :)

Yes! Menu options and more. I have never needed anything else and I shoot alot of underwater video & special occasions. It's not national geographic cinema quality editing. However it's very simple to use, rip DVD's, record streaming videos, by passes encryption by stream recording. Making movies with video footage is easy. Fade in fade out, sync timing, no delay between shots or as much as you want. Pause and zoom. To many fun things to list. For the money it's the best "non-professional" video editing software I've used. :) Check it out.

Dazzls (sold by Pinnacle) is just a feature reduced version of Pinnacle Studio that's bundled with the adapter. I would just buy Studio and save $20 + getting a piece of h/w that you don't need. From the Dazzle info page:
The user-friendly Pinnacle Studio HD drag-and-drop interface makes it a breeze to create your own high-quality HD movies with music, montage themes, transitions, animations and effects.

Plus neither Dazzle device comes with anything but composite or S-video jacks. No USB. So it would require degrading your HD output to use it.

From the Studio info page:
Import Formats

Video: AVCHD*, AVCHD Lite*, BD Blu-ray*, DV, HDV, AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX®*, MPEG-4*, 3GP (MPEG-4)*, WMV, non-encrypted DVD titles (incl. DVD-VR/+VR), QuickTime® MOV (DV, MPEG-4*, H.264*), DivX Plus® MKV*
Assuming your computer is over the minimum requirements to run it. That almost sounds like it might be related to your Powerdirector problem also?

There's also a free trial version to download to ensure that it does what you want. And makes sense to you to work with. Each of the sub-$100 NLE's I mentioned above are slightly different.

my .02

My suggestion is to try before you buy. Most programs here have either demos or light versions you can use to evaluate the interface, features, etc. and if they do not you can very easily obtain a "free" copy to try out.
As for completely free look at Lightworks (which I think is available for windows)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom