recommendation for divers/non-divers on the Big Island, early August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I scuba-dive, my wife doesn't (but will snorkel). I've been going to Maui regularly (staying in Waielea and diving with B&B) but this year I want to try the Big Island (beginning of August).

Since my wife doesn't dive, I'm hoping to find a place to stay that is:
(a) near/on the beach for non-diving swimming
(b) a pool too would be nice, though not essential
(c) easy to get to diving for me, preferably in the mornings (either boat or shore, either is fine)

Anybody got suggestions? Happy to hear about places you like to stay (or not) and particularly operators you like to dive with. (And since I'm used to B&B with the 5:45 AM call, pretty much nothing is too early for me...)

Also, I hear about the night Manta dives --- I've got about 150 dives, mostly in Monterey, a bunch in hawaii -- but no night dives. Do they tell you what you need to know to do the night manta dive with no night diving experience?

You gotta be certified for the night dive, don't worry about your experience. My guess is that the majority of the divers that take their open water courses in Kona do the manta night dive either the next dive outing or within 2-3 days of additional diving.

Kona is blessed by all day diving. All but about 1 or 2 of the operators in Kona launch between z8am and 9:30 am. The tradewinds are blocked by the volcanoes in Kona most every day so there's no need to get out early to beat it back to the harbor and beat the choppy water from winds like in many other spots on the islands.

just book marking, I am heading to Kona in May and interested in seeing the replies.

No sure what your budget is, but if you want something with appeal to all members family hard to beat Hilton Waikoloa just north Kona. It isn't quite so far up that it becomes a huge drive back into town Kona. Drive to Kona should be under 30 minutes. Just be aware that the hotel itself is HUGE.

I have not been to their beach but there are pools all over the place, multiple restaurants, and a man made snorkelling lagoon for non divers. They have a dolphin lagoon on site and with some planning you could book your wife (and yourself !!) a swim with the dolphins session. My wife did this and she was enchanted by them. I was just asking how much ($130) back then, she promptly quipped less than one of my golfing rounds!

Nearby is a very small shopping center so she could poke around and do some shopping, although the place is pretty small and she might get bored in about half a day.

Not a scuba centered hotel, but one that has a lot to offer the nondiving members of the family.

just book marking, I am heading to Kona in May and interested in seeing the replies.
When are you going to be there? We are going to be in Kona May 25th-June 2nd. We plan on shore diving, with a few days spent touring the island. Got the bible "The big Island Revealed", and with shorediving.com we should be pretty well covered. It has been many years since I have dove warmish water.

Just left Kona about 2 to 3 weeks ago. These were my first dives after my OW cert, and my wife is also a non-diver. I split my time between diving, snorkeling, and checking out the island. If I was able to do it again, I would add 1 to 2 more days to have a total of 2 island drive days and 1 more day to dive and do more snorkeling.

We stayed at the Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort. The placed wound up being about 15 minutes from the marina (as I dove with Big Island Divers - daily recommend them), and about 10 minutes from where we met up with Seaquest for snorkeling and checking out the southern part of the island from the ocean. My wife had a blast snorkeling with Seaquest (as did I) - basically a pontoon boat that took us to 2 or 3 locations for snorkeling as well as checking out lave tubes, dolphins, and whales over a 4 to 5 hour period. The best part was the location near the Captain Cook Monument that is only reachable by boat or hiking.

The dives with Big Island were awesome. All three were evening to night dives. For the evening dive, we check out a lot of hard corals, and the scenery and fish count was great. Then came the manta ray dives (did 2), and that experience alone made it worth me to get certified :D!

When are you going to be there? We are going to be in Kona May 25th-June 2nd. We plan on shore diving, with a few days spent touring the island. Got the bible "The big Island Revealed", and with shorediving.com we should be pretty well covered. It has been many years since I have dove warmish water.

Hi Peter - We will be leaving right after you arrive, while I wish it was for a longer stay - we will be there May 19th-27th, I downloaded "The Big Island Revealed" earlier this week.

Trying to sort through the dives right now (with who, boat vs shore etc.. )

I have not been to their beach but there are pools all over the place, multiple restaurants, and a man made snorkelling lagoon for non divers.

Yup, the Hilton doesn't have a "beach" other than the sand by their lagoon. Anaehoomalu beach is a very short drive down the road, it's not a top knotch beach, for those one would have a 15-20 minute drive. Kona is a bit short on beaches, but it's great for other water activities.

1. You need a rental car on Kona
2. Many hotels charge a daily parking fee, and downtown Kailua-Kona has minimal parking
3. YOU MUST take a day and go down to Volcanoes National Park, walk around on the lava fields, it is mind blowing!
4. YOU MUST take an afternoon and drive over to the jungle side of the island and see some of the waterfalls, plush jungle, and rainforests
5. The book "Big Island Revealed" is awesome, buy it today and start planning your trip

Most of the Dive Ops launch from the Marina north of town, you drive there to meet the boat. An exception is the biggest dive op, Jack's Diving Locker, that has a shop in town. People diving with them meet there, then ride a bus up to the same marina. Most dive ops will keep you gear for the week and rinse and dry it for you, then bring it to boat.

robin

Back
Top Bottom