Recommendations for a dive shop in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are two kinds of divers - those that pee in their wetsuits and those that lie about it.....

Just as an edit I asked about it long in advance and still got the same answer. I was disappointed in the fact they did not have it but like say it was a set back not a turn away. I still enjoyed the dive and thought it was a blast.

Has something changed about the scuba shak since I was there last (A year ago)? Seems they are getting a negative review on here?
Re: Nitrox. Yes, you found one of the few ops that won't even let you bring it on the boat if you show up with your own tanks (I believe there was someone that tried that recently). Every other operator that I'm aware of will either provide or allow you to bring (or both) EAN.

Re: Scuba Shack. I don't recall having heard many *positive* reviews about them, aside from Rodale's Scuba Diving, which is "fixed" -- they have pre-filled post-cards ready for all their passengers to sign and send in at the end of the day. The bottom line is, they have a very quirky captain/owner and some quirkier rules. Their boat is built for speed, not necessarily diver comfort. They hit the same couple spots regularly. They're ok for the diver that's getting to dive once on their vacation, as long as she's not an attractive lady (or anyone who pees in their wetsuit).

Scuba Shack has a pretty long reputation on Maui of being one of the few operations to avoid....at least since we got certified back in 2004. We've consistently heard pretty strange stories about the captains, owner, and their antics from a good variety of local DMs, captains, and divers with first hand experience on other boats. And frankly after reading the rant that the owner sent to Undercurrent about peeing in wetsuits, I'm just not impressed.

But I've never been on their boat (and never will) so have no first hand experience. If you enjoy diving with them then there's no reason for you not to continue diving with them.

wow I was just basing on what I heard about them but that was local advertising I think they called it 101 things to do in Hawaii????

But I appreciate all the first hand reviews It does make a difference. Thanks in advance :)

k ellis, keep in mind.... all those booklets you see like that... they tend to use whoever advertises in them, for their articles and promos. sooooooo, if 101 places advertise in one, then they will have their 101 things to do in Maui, etc.... just FYI. Take care, Maggi

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that there are a lot of good dive operators on Maui and what it comes down to is finding the one (or ones) that meet your needs and match your diving style. Fortunately, its easier to find a good operator on Maui than a bad one.

Just a personal experience note... Makena Coast cancelled my dive on me less than 12 hours before it began and just about ruined my opportunity to dive while I was on Maui. I'd be careful with them or make sure they guarantee you that if they say they are going out they actually take you out. (Lucky for me, I called Maui Dive Shop 5 minutes before they closed and got a last minute spot with them. They were friendly and safe.)

Just a personal experience note... Makena Coast cancelled my dive on me less than 12 hours before it began and just about ruined my opportunity to dive while I was on Maui. I'd be careful with them or make sure they guarantee you that if they say they are going out they actually take you out. (Lucky for me, I called Maui Dive Shop 5 minutes before they closed and got a last minute spot with them. They were friendly and safe.)

That has probably happened with every op over here. Sometimes the trip gets cancelled after you show up at the dock. Engine troubles, not enough passengers (it takes a certain number just to pay for the fuel, etc..) and even weather will affect boat ops differently. (Some will go out in weather all the others refuse to run in ...)

Not knowing the reason they cancelled makes it tough to say if this was a normal reason or not.

Either way glad you had a good trip with Maui Dive Shop - I've been on their boat and while I have no plans of diving with them again their DM was great and the dives were nice :) They are definitely easy to contact with all their locations (I used to keep a MDS fill card in my wallet for "emergencies" as they stayed open till 9pm, so in a pinch I could pick up a tank for an unexpected dive if all mine at home were empty)

Aloha, Tim

That's about right; MDS, the emergency dive op. :)

I think it's pretty important that if you're diving during low season that you check with the operators about how many divers minimum they need before they cancel. Particularly now with the economy hitting everyone pretty hard, they may not be able to be as generous as they once were. :depressed:

Since we go at Christmas, this isn't an issue for us...cancellations only happen because of bad weather or mechanical problems, which (knock wood) hasn't happened to us yet. :D

Back
Top Bottom