Recommendations for Analog Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went diving the other day and my 5+ year old Aeris AI Dive Computer died again after I had it "overhauled" by Aeris 4 dives ago.

I had no redundant SPG so had to surface.

Am looking to buy a competent and compact analog gauge set (air, depth, temp.) and am thinking of also getting a mini SPG (like a Dive Rite) as a backup as I have plenty of ports on my Atomic reg..1st. stage.

I figure that I can tie both of the hoses for the above together so it will be like having only 1 hose in a sense

The Aeris has a quick-release hose so I'd like to be able to use that if possible.

Any feedback and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Why not ditch the AI all together and just use the SPG. Cheaper, more stream line and more reliable.

I do plan to ditch the AI and will likely stay with Analog stuff again. I just want to know if it makes any sense to carry a 2nd. SPG as a backup in the unlikely event the primary analog SPG dies underwater. My Atomic reg. has enough ports.

What do you think?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother--if the SPG quits, call the dive. Having a spare in your luggage means you can swap the broken one out in about 2 minutes.

I agree w/ron-----Get a good quality analog spg/depth/temp...[glass lens/brass housing] and a standard HP hose...They're reliable and many are on sale new or here on SB.......

I agree w/ron-----Get a good quality analog spg/depth/temp...[glass lens/brass housing] and a standard HP hose...They're reliable and many are on sale new or here on SB.......

Any recommendations? I used to have an Oceanic console which was ok but somewhat bulky and would like a smaller unit.

As for the b/u SPG I figure i can get a small one and tie it's hose securely to the console hose and it would be like having one hose. I don't want to have to "call " a dive and surface if I don't really have to. The b/u SPG would serve that purpose.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Sy

It makes sense in that we understand what you're saying, we just don't agree with it. SPGs seldom fail, so why have two when one will suffice. As to which one, a naked SPG on a 24" hose, with a bolt snap tied just below the SPG, will work. Of the three pictured, I like the 1.75" face.

What would you recommend as far as depth/temp gauge to accompany the SPG? Ideally i'd like to have them all in a small console.

I'm also thinking about getting a nice looking Dive Watch that shows depth and temp.. Actually that might be my best option leaving only me with only the Analog SPG with a hose.

Thanks for the advice.

It makes sense in that we understand what you're saying, we just don't agree with it. SPGs seldom fail, so why have two when one will suffice. As to which one, a naked SPG on a 24" hose, with a bolt snap tied just below the SPG, will work. Of the three pictured, I like the 1.75" face.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that consoles are bulky and in the way. I'd get a naked SPG alone that give you air.
Then a separate wrist computer that give you depth and time. Nowadays there are some pretty cheap wrist computers.

Some people don't like wrist-watches for diving. The say that they are bulky. But a Console is 400% bulkier.
If you don't like those big wrist strap they put those wrist computers in there`s always a boot. Like this.
And anyways, if you go all analog, you'll still need a watch to count dive time, so why carry a watch & a console, why not an SPG & a wrist-computer.

The clipping & un-clipping of the SPG can be pretty annoying if you don't dive in a BackPlate/Wing.
At 22/24in? the lenght arrives directly on my D-ring, i don't even have to look and I know the clip will arrive straight on it.
This makes it 50x easier.

If you wear a BCD you can always route the hose under the armpit and clip it on a front d-ring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom