Recommendations for New Olympus Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're using a C5050 with success I personally think the E-PM1 will do wonders for you; it's a huge step up. And at $500 for the camera, lens, zoom gear, and housing it's a steal. I have an E-M5 but was never going to spend what the housing costs for it. Just too much to spend when I don't do it for a living. I've also owned an E-PM1 for a while, and it's a fine camera--the most basic mirrorless model from Olympus...but again: quite a leap forward from the C5050.

If you're using a C5050 with success I personally think the E-PM1 will do wonders for you; it's a huge step up. And at $500 for the camera, lens, zoom gear, and housing it's a steal. I have an E-M5 but was never going to spend what the housing costs for it. Just too much to spend when I don't do it for a living. I've also owned an E-PM1 for a while, and it's a fine camera--the most basic mirrorless model from Olympus...but again: quite a leap forward from the C5050.

I agree with this assessment. My UW camera systems have progressed from Olympus C3040 in a L&M Tetra housing to an Olympus C5050 in a L&M Tetra housing to a Canon G10 in a FIX/Fisheye housing to a Canon T2i in a Nauticam housing. I recently got the PM-1 system 'deal' as a backup UW system and also because I wanted to experiment with a mirrorless SLR above water. So far the camera has been great and would be a huge upgrade from the C5050.

I also have the PM-1, and it's really good. Instead of getting the M5 and underwater housing for $2100, get the PM-1 with housing and zoom gear for $500, and use the rest of the money for good lighting or a Zen Dome and a 9-18 mm wide angle zoom.

Ron

I agree. Get the EPM1. Take the saved money and buy the Zen dome for the 9-18. Get the 9-18, 60mm macro. Now you can use 3 different lens (14-42, 9-18, 60) all in the same port. Very versatile setup and you never have to change a port. This is what I do with an epl2. Absolutely love it.
I like the fact that the olympus housing is plastic. I'm not going deeper than 40m. It's very easy to use, very ergonomic and it's light. I can carry all this equipment along with an inon D2000, tray & arms in a carry on backpack. I also use an ipad with photogene app (very powerful). Again, all in the backpack. My travel profile is so small for the quality of pictures I'm getting.

BTW, I also own an em5 as my land camera(I ditched my nikon D7000). Fantastic camera, just not sure if I'll house it. I really do love the setup of what I have now. If olympus ever does a fire sale on the epl5 like the epm1, that will be my upgrade path.

I'm following this thread while I wait for my EPM1 to arrive.....appears I'm going to dump a whole bunch more money into this setup! :doh:

I'm following this thread while I wait for my EPM1 to arrive.....appears I'm going to dump a whole bunch more money into this setup! :doh:
Everything is relative... You saved ~2k$ compared to a DSLR or OM-D setup.

EPM1 with a housing for 500$ - what a mega bargain! From your current setup you will notice a massive jump in resolution, speed and quality.

Been very impressed with my EPL3 and Olympus housing - I have 3 ports for it and I have no issues changing the port - quick and easy.

$500 for a EPM1 - go get one now! If I wasn't half way around the world I would jump on one. Mega deal.

Regards

Rich.

Can someone tell me, on the PT EP-06 housing, what sort of mounting / screw options does it have underneath?

Does it have a tripod screw mount?

Bonus question: would I be able to use an Ikelite tray I already have to mount this to it?

Thanks in advance.

AD

lol I have an e-pl1 set up i would sell . . .but seriously look at the epl5. Its pretty much the same as the OMD (same sensor, processor etc..) but without the mini-view screen and a different stabilization mechanism. Its substantially cheaper than the omd as well. I just bought the epl5 and I leave for Bonaire tomorrow to test it out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom