Recommendations for Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My wife and I will be on Oahu in August for a couple of days on our way back from Bali and Sulawesi. We need some recommendations for nice hotels and good dive shops. We've got miles at Hyatt, Sheraton and Marriott. My wife likes spas. Also where should we go dive?

Thanks for any help y'all can give.

Try the Sheraton Moana Surfrider: http://www.moana-surfrider.com/index.htm
It's a nice place at a good location with great room service/restaurants.
Most dive shops in the area have a free shuttle service that will pick you up at the hotel for the morning two tank dives & drop you back off. However, some of the shops seemed to cater more towards the newly certified diver. The dives were shallow & short. I hadn't even reached the first 1/3 yet. :mad1:
South Seas Aquatics in Waikiki (walking distance from the hotel) offered some better dives, one to a corsair I think. But I found them too late, had a flight to catch the next day.
Hope this helps.

Bob

All three hotels are right on Waikiki beach.

Marriott
Hyatt
Sheraton

Of the three only the Sheraton doesn't mention having a spa on their website.

If you are going to be here in August and feel up to a shore dive I would reccomend Sharks cove. Great diving there.

Our wrecks (Sea Tiger, YO-257, San Pedro, Wings, Corsair, barge, baby barge, The Mahi...) are always fun.

You're probably going to end up in Waikiki for a hotel, especially if you're going to go with the Hyatt. When my parents were here in March they stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki. The ocean/Diamondhead view was beautiful, and they were very pleased with the hotel. It's kinda pricey, but if you are used to staying at Hyatts you won't be shocked by the price. I know that Hyatt isn't on the water side of the street, but there may be another Hyatt location that I am not aware of. I know there are at least 2 Sheartons so multiples of any hotel chain is possible. Anyway the dive shop on Waikiki that I'd recommend is South Seas. It's right next to Planet Hollywood... I'm not sure which hotel owns the property, but its kinda like a hotel mall area. Anyway it's a pretty decent shop, especially for around here. The shops in the area kinda suck, and most cater to Japanese tourists more than Americans. We can't even really find a good LDS since we have been living here. If you do make it up to the North Shore (diving is best up there, and the South is a bit rougher at the time of year you are looking to go) check out Surf and Sea in Hale'iwa. Deep Ecology is also in Hale'iwa. I have not dived with either, but I know the shop at Surf and Sea caters nicely to locals and tourists alike. It's become our favorite shop on Oahu so far and they seem to be good people. I have nothing bad to say about Deep Ecology, just never spent any money with them yet. For the South shore check out Dive Oahu (www.diveoahu.com) I'm taking my advanced class with them right now, and from what I have seen so far I highly recommend them. All the DM's and instructors are great. They seem to like the wrecks out here a lot, so they will show you some good dives. As far as spas go.. not sure, but the Sheraton Waikiki was a nice swanky hotel, I would be surprised if they didnt have one.

mohneys1:
I'm taking my advanced class with them right now, and from what I have seen so far I highly recommend them. All the DM's and instructors are great. They seem to like the wrecks out here a lot, so they will show you some good dives.

I'm guess you're part of the UH group then :wink: I'm sure they'd be glad to hear it :D

Back
Top Bottom