Recommended options on new rebreather (Optima CM)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCR is a “serious task loaded drill”?
Was waiting for this reply. It has enough tasks at the beginning and at the end. The point is, if you haven't used NERD as a controller, you may be in a surprise when you need to do a bunch of things. Petrel is easier.

Was waiting for this reply. It has enough tasks at the beginning and at the end. The point is, if you haven't used NERD as a controller, you may be in a surprise when you need to do a bunch of things. Petrel is easier.
So it is or isn’t a “serious task loaded drill” for you?

So it is or isn’t a “serious task loaded drill” for you?
Is everything okay with you? I asked OP a question about the experience with NERD. SCR is just an example of a drill that requires a few button clicks on a computer. Anything like that is a bit more pleasant to do on a Petrel than on a NERD, especially if there is some distress.

If you disagree with that, that's okay. But please let's not get into the semantics. And yes, I am more than okay with SCR.

See if you can find a rig and try it.

I went through the same process but on a different unit. After giving it some thought, I decided to go with a Petrel controller because it is a bit easier to use, especially if you're dealing with a situation. I believe that ultimately it came down to the fact that working with Petrel allowed me to view surroundings easier, which added a level of comfort. However, there are folks who run 2 NERDs and it does not seem to bother them. Or perhaps it is just easier to work on a larger screen.

Cannot you use your secondary computer when you bailout?
Define "secondary computer"
NERD attached to the loop is right in front of you. Really nice.
Bail out, off the loop, a computer on your wrist is so much easier to keep tabs on. NERD is hanging out on the loop, not in front of your face. You have to actively retrieve it, pull it to your face and look at it. You have to dedicate a hand to hold the NERD in front of you (when off the loop) where a wrist just takes a moment to glance over at it. If you have both hands busy, you can still look at a wrist, you are not looking at a NERD. So while a NERD is great while on the loop, it is still functional while off the loop, actually seeing the function can be difficult without a spare hand
The last stage of transitioning to bailout is to switch the NERD over from CCR to BO mode. And that is if the other task loading isn't too high.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom