Recommended Restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm throwing my hat into the ring as a soon (december) to be new visitor to AC! We will be staying at the Blue Tang Inn. Looking for some restaurant recommendations. We will probably be doing 2 tanks in the am and a 3rd in the afternoon so what's a good place for a relatively quick lunch? What about for dinner? Nice ($$$) as well as more casual? Belize has been on my short list for some time, glad we are finally going to make it! Fingers crossed that Delta/Atlanta tight connection goes smoothly :wink:

There is a restaurant called wet willy's out on the pier in front of the Blue Tang Inn.
They pimp their ribs which I think suck - but any how alot of their other food is actually good for bar food and it's very close at hand.
I would go there for lunch (don't know about quick service - we had a beer or two and chilled).

If you use Chuck and Robbies there will be a chicken tamale vendor there everyday. Couple of bucks for lunch. I did not eat any but most folks did.

Reactions: mbs
$$$ dinner, Red Ginger at the Phoenix. Lesser $ dinner at Lily's by Cholo's bar and Amigos del Mar dive op. Great lunch but too far for "quick" Mangos!! Yum.

Seriously? No other favorites?

Go to Placencia instead. I can easily make a half dozen recommendations for great fried chicken, burgers, pizza, salads, smoothies, sandwiches, coffee and gelato. Not to mention the Belizean national meal of stewed chicken, rice and beans.

Casual dress, delicious food, easy on the wallet.

:) just go mbs. You'll find what you want in no time. If you are actually foodies report back here and I'll check with my nondiver foodie buddies and get back to you.

Go to Placencia instead. I can easily make a half dozen recommendations for great fried chicken, burgers, pizza, salads, smoothies, sandwiches, coffee and gelato. Not to mention the Belizean national meal of stewed chicken, rice and beans.

Casual dress, delicious food, easy on the wallet.

Maybe next time :wink:

---------- Post added August 14th, 2013 at 09:20 AM ----------

:) just go mbs. You'll find what you want in no time. If you are actually foodies report back here and I'll check with my nondiver foodie buddies and get back to you.

I wouldn't necessarily say we are foodies, but definitely not fast food types... Grilled fish on a bun or salad for lunch is perfect and the occasional $$$ dinner. So this thread is just the appetizer until the main meal in December :)

Hi folks, I'm throwing my hat into the ring as a soon (december) to be new visitor to AC! We will be staying at the Blue Tang Inn. Looking for some restaurant recommendations. We will probably be doing 2 tanks in the am and a 3rd in the afternoon so what's a good place for a relatively quick lunch? What about for dinner? Nice ($$$) as well as more casual? Belize has been on my short list for some time, glad we are finally going to make it! Fingers crossed that Delta/Atlanta tight connection goes smoothly :wink:

Estelle's is my all time favorite breakfast place. For Lunch, Waraguma's has a great shrimp Burrito. If you're diving in the afternoon, split one. If not, eat the whole thing with a beer and then take a nap! Wild Mango's is wonderful for dinner. The Blue Water grill is always good for dinner. Sushi 2 nights a week and I believe it has the best Caye Lime pie on the island. And of course, visit DandE's IceCream shop for a little evening snack. SourSop is awesome.

We were never wanting for good places to eat, they're all over the place. Ask around when you get there, you shouldn't have any problems.

Hit up Lick's Beachside cafe for some fresh fish and a nice atmosphere. They have a nice balcony and limited seating downstairs. We were there during poor weather so not much was happening, but we hung out and got to know the proprietor (a Canadian ex-pat) and some locals. It was lots of fun, casual, and relaxed. And the food was good. If you chat with the owner you're sure to hear some interesting stories, and probably hear about the drama with his beachfront tables. (From what I see on FB, this is an ongoing saga. There were no tables on the beach when I was there.)

For a bit more splurge, Hidden Treasures is worth the trip. It's far from any hotels and not on the beach, but if you make a reservation they will provide free transport. (Either they send their driver, or if he's busy, they'll send a cab to you and pay him on arrival.) The food is delicious. You feel like you're hidden away in the middle of the jungle. I thought it was great. Both my friend and I got the mixed seafood grill, which was a lobster tail, shrimp, and fresh fish. But skip the mashed potatoes, which are instant, and opt for coconut rice instead, which is divine.

We also went to Wild Mango's. The location is great, and the food is pretty good. I liked the other two better. Caliente also has a nice location but the food was just OK. Everyone raves about the chicken drop, which we missed because we weren't there on a Thursday, but I can't say I see the draw of watching chickens poop on the floor?

If you want more info and aren't getting enough here, I suggest tripadvisor. Search for "Restaurants, San pedro Belize" and you'll see a lot more information than you'll get here. Make no mistake, you will get excellent fresh seafood on AC, and if you opt for that, your meals will be excellent. But if you're from a major city in the US, don't expect the "fine dining" places like Red Ginger to be what you're used to. They're OK, but I'd opt for non-hotel places with simple seafood. That said, poolside at the Phoenix I had an excellent lobster tail for lunch from the Red Ginger kitchen, but their dinner menu was trying to hard to be fine dining and didn't quite live up, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom