Recommended Starter Settings for UW Photography (North Atlantic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you recommend that I use my flash diffuser?

Soft light is usually better, I leave my diffusers on my strobes. Your strobe (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is going to be fairly low power, and with only one it might be hard to get good subject illumination for a large subject like a diver, since you need to be relatively far away from the subject to get it in the frame. This is where large dual strobes are more helpful. Small single strobes are OK for macro, but they may struggle to work on larger subjects, especially in relatively low vis water.

Soft light is usually better, I leave my diffusers on my strobes. Your strobe (if it's the one I'm thinking of) is going to be fairly low power, and with only one it might be hard to get good subject illumination for a large subject like a diver, since you need to be relatively far away from the subject to get it in the frame. This is where large dual strobes are more helpful. Small single strobes are OK for macro, but they may struggle to work on larger subjects, especially in relatively low vis water.

This has been hugely helpful, thank you.

P.S. I sent an email about that 8/24 photography workshop at Dutch. Hopefully I'm not too late.

This has been hugely helpful, thank you.

P.S. I sent an email about that 8/24 photography workshop at Dutch. Hopefully I'm not too late.

You are in! You just need to do a few things that I outlined in my email to you...

If anyone else in this thread is interested in joining us, this is the workshop. Right now I have one spot left, although sometimes people drop out.

Back
Top Bottom