Recreational side scan to find wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba2xs

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I saw a similar post from 2018 hoping to get new information.

I want to add a sidescan chartplotter to my boat for finding dive sites or just fun exploring. I have been narrowing down on the Garmin Echomap series. Looks like the gt56 transducer is the best transducer for rec diving depths.

Im debating if the UHD2 series is worth paying retail for vs getting the 20% lower display resolution of the UHD as i can pick a package with the gt56 transducer for 40% less.

Anyone doing something similar, or have suggestions for a better setup. I like the sub $1000 price point

First off, welcome to the board!

I do a lot of this and use a Garmin 9SV. As far as I can tell the price difference is driven by screen size and mapping capability, and there is no real difference between sidescan models in sonar performance. One feature I really wish I had was HDMI output so I could record the imaged the unit is generating for use in videos, but you only seem to get that on the very expensive models.

Seeing as how you are in Seattle, if you want to DM me your email once you get enough posts I will send you my Puget Sound Shipwreck database. It is in a format I can't send as an attachment, so would need to be emailed. Happy to answer questions where I can.

Back
Top Bottom