RecSea S95 Housing Shoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDolphin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I received my RecSea S95 housing just in time for the recent trip and the housing performed wonderfully. Everything worked well, however I have one issue.

I mount a single INON LE 550 video light onto the cold shoe via the INON Shoe adapter but have found that the tiny shoe screws do become loose after several dives. I have carefully re-tightened the screws but again have found them to loosen up after several dives.

I was wondering if a threadlocking compound (e.g Loctite 243) would help keep the screws tight?

Photo of the cold shoe:
RecSea_S95_Shoe.jpg

Thanks.

I had exactly the same problem come up with my FIX S90 hot shoe and LE550W Light. The loctite will do the job of keeping the screws from coming loose.

Another problem that I still have is the hot shoe mount of the INON LE550W is a little loose on the Hotshoe and does not lock down very well. It has a tendency to come loose.

Have to be extra vigilant and have to tighten the locking knob every so often during a dive.

Are you experiencing the same problem as well?

I have not had that problem with my RecSea S95 housing, but I think I only did a couple of dives with my D2000/Dual LE-550W combo mounted on an Epoque Flex-Shoe, the rest of the dives with the full tray and arm set. I find the Flex-Shoe mounts pretty tightly to the cold shoe, and I don't remember it loosening up during a dive.

On a second look, with just the Flex-Shoe mounted, a do detect a little looseness in the cold shoe mount bracket, and just tightened the screws a little. Maybe we should contact Ryan at Reef. The New FIX S95 housing is different, but this is the same as the S90 housings he has carried and maybe he has some advice. I think it is Stainless Steel and anodized aluminum, so I don't think the proper Loctite should do any damage, but I would be very careful if there is any plastic there.

I would use blue 242.

N

Hi Nemrod, I will look into blue 242.

Hi Ozziworld,

I do find the screw on the INON Shoe adapter does come a bit loose, but as the plate has a catch I haven't had the shoe adapter fall off.

I have reversed the INON shoe adapter's plate to better position the LE 550W with the UWL-04 lens. The catch now is on the front of the shoe to butt up against the flat edge of the cold shoe.

As you can see the INON shoe adapter isn't ideal on the RecSea S95 IMHO, as the plate does interfere slightly with the buttons on top of the housing. But I've still managed to use the RecSea S95 without major problems.

Shoe_Plate_Mount.jpg

Housing_And_Light_Setup.jpg

In the future I might go down the tray and strobe route, so this cold shoe mount system might not be on for long.

Anyone have any videos they'd like to share using the single or dual 550w's???.......tia...

Thanks for the photos Joseph.

My INON mounts exactly like that. I just find it loosens up easily as the cold shoe and the mount has some play. There is about 1mm play sideways and wiggles free even when locked down. It works but requires more attention than I like.

Yeah, the locking plate interferes somewhat with the buttons.

I will probably end up trying to mount is some other way.

Hi diver 85,

There is an INON video on YouTube: YouTube - INON LE550-W LED Light

Another user has also uploaded a couple of test shots with the INON LE 550W

YouTube - ????????
YouTube - ???????

I got my camera mainly for the recent cave diving trip, I can post some video if anybody is interested in seeing how it looked.

Thanks, please post them, I'd love to see it working in darkness ie a cave.....

Last edited:
I've put together some video footage with a single INON LE 550W mounted just above the fisheye lens (as described in my earlier post).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Ll6xXs3BA

The video is 720p to use the full capability of the camera.

The shots were taken in clear water (outside of cave), silty conditions (inside cave) and normal ocean visibility we get here in South Australia (inside and outside of a wreck).

The light is concentrated in the middle of the viewing area and there is backscatter (as expected), but any light is better than no light in a cave.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom