RED,RED over done red.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Bill fixing can be simple with some images and very difficult with others. Have a read of the DP review thread that ColoDale attached. To me, even the fixed image you attached is still overblown in the red channel.

I am colour blind so don't take all my thoughts as sensible!

Hi Bob,

thought I should post the version I processed here for completeness. This is processed from the Raw file, interestingly enough the file opened up fine in Adobe Camera Raw on my machine without overblown reds. so I only needed minor tweaking to get to this point:

Red_Red_Red.jpg

The fact it came up looking fine on my system indicates that it's an issue with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) (as contained in lightroom) . Maybe there is a preset activated in Lightroom, or the other thing that occurred to me is the profile ACR is using is an old one?

Which version of lightroom are you using? The EXIF data reports software as version 2.0 . Updating ACR may download a more recent version of the camera profile?

On the dpreview link, that left me confused, it seems the post is about how the image appears in the Electronic viewfinder. On the youtube link recognize that all the settings he makes on the camera are not relevant for Raw images, they only impact the embedded jpeg. If you are exposing to the right they will be helpful as the embedded jpeg is used to judge exposure and make the histogram, setting it to a more muted version allows you to push further to the right as there is more headroom in the Raw file for highlights than in the jpeg. In any case I've got too many other things going on underwater to worry too much about exposing to the right as long as the exposure looks close when I shoot, I'm happy.

If you are correcting too much red, going to saturation is really not the best approach, it won't get back detail in blown reds it just turns the reds to muddy brown. The better approach is to get a full histogram in raw development and then import and fix things in levels. What you want to do is open a levels layer then go into each channel individually and pull the shadow and highlight markers up to touch the curve in each channel. Here is the red channel:
Capture2.JPG

On this channel the red is fixed on the shadow end by pulling in the shadow triangle to 6 just touching the curve. Do this for each channel, in theory this works without even having to look at the image and colour blind or not is irrelevant. In practice if the image is clipped or displays long drawn out highlights like the blue channel:
Capture4.JPG

This requires some judgement to place the white point of the blue channel, here I've placed it at 227. and it pulled excess yellow out of the image.

This is the most fool proof way to colour balance an image, it can just about correct a green water image completely and also it gets your midtone contrast up in one step, which is an important parameter for many UW images.

Let us know how you go with this.

I scanned the Olympus site for firmware for the EM1 MKI and I did not see anything they published for color issues however they seemed to have new EM1 MKII firmware from 2018 so they are making changes. Olympus offers major firmware update for OM-D E-M1 II, E-M5 II and Pen-F . You might also send them a message via their website and ask. Maybe they have come up with a fix or workaround. In the past I have received responses from them. There seems to be quite alot of contact phone numbers for Olympus Australia support page.
You might try a workaround of changing the saturation in picture mode to be more negative. I also noted in the video that the author was talking aobut exposure versus saturation but I think he was using shadowing in the viewfinder.
The exif settings above show shutter at 1/160 and ISO 100. You might try changing exposure and sutter speed and possible get a better result. Just throwing it out there.

Thanks Bill fixing can be simple with some images and very difficult with others. Have a read of the DP review thread that ColoDale attached. To me, even the fixed image you attached is still overblown in the red channel.

I am colour blind so don't take all my thoughts as sensible!
On my screen at least the red channel is not close to overblown, (I used gamut check) but the yellow stripe in the foreground is still overdone. The data for the red os h=5, s=62%, b=90%, r=229
In any case, I don't think of this as an Olympus problem (the DP review article was focused on very bright lights). I occasionally have issues focusing on bright red or orange fish, particularly anemone fish, but really no issues like you are showing. I still think the photo that you showed was overexposed in general.

Cheers
Bill

As said by Chris Ross, the dpreview article does address viewing with EVF and problems with the jpeg and more importantly that RAW (ORF) file seemed ok but the jpeg was red. There is little reported on what is occurring with your RAW file that I can find. That article seemed to boil it down to a camera issue. You're issue here is the RAW image. If the RAW image came up fine in Lightroom for him (Chris Ross) it suggests that the RAW photo may be fine in the camera. I convert mine from Olympus ORF to Adobe DNG with an Olympus converter application then edit in Photoshop. The application will give me an option for a jpeg preview and at that level I could compare the jpeg to the DNG file and see any differences. I don't see any in mine and I since I shoot RAW and JPEG out of the camera, I can also compare those. Maybe some test shots using RAW and JPEG on the LCD and jpeg versus RAW in LR (or irfanview?). It could be LR as said and has a preset. I would assume it the built in converter for ORF files in LR is working properly.

I have not had any real issue with color with my EM5 other than white balance and since I don't use a grey card underwater for manual WB I correct in post processing if necessary.

It appears your settings in picture mode are not the issue (at least what we talked about), the jpeg is ok, the RAW file seems ok at least on a different computer and application so I am leaning towards the editing application or conversion.

A few things you could try, convert the raw file in Olympus viewer and see if does a better job, download the 30 day free trial of capture one and see if does a better job, convert to a DNG file and see if does any better. Update Lightroom to the latest version you can without paying Adobe any money.

Also I found this which explains how to turn off all adjustments in lightroom, might be worth a try: how to turn off adjustment?

Thanks a lot guys I have learnt a lot about the camera. Have made some adjustments and need to look at lightroom. Will post if something comes up from LR upgrade.

Thanks particularly to Chris Ross who went above and beyond to assist me.

regards

Back
Top Bottom