Reef Clean-up at the Dimaniyat Isl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian T

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It might be interesting/fun or something to know that, this week we had a clean-up operation at the Dimaniyat Islands.
The Dimaniyat Dive Center at Sawaid Beach Resort was the HQ during these five days.
The event had a number of sponsor, local as well as globally recognized companies and participants came from the Omani Navy, Omani Coast Guard, Omani Royal Police, Ministry of Environment, various dive centers and dive shops, volunteers from all over Oman as well as some of the Resort guests.

The first three days were dedicated to surveying the different islands/dive sites and prioritizing which nets could be removed - some were so assimilated into the reef that it would have created more damage if we removed them.
Thursday and Friday were Removal days.
As of yet we don't know how many kg's of nets were removed, but quite a few.
All in all, a very productive week.

Cheers
Ian

I dived the dimaniyats in 2005 with Sawadi beach resort. Is the dive centre still being run by Abdullah?

Really glad you were involved in this as I think the islands are beautiful although I don't recall seeing many nets on the reefs. Was this a build up of many years or just recently?

Mark

Hey Mark,

Good to hear you enjoyed the diving here...
Abdullah left the dive center - I think it was in May 2005, and has now moved on to new and better things....(c8
For some time, we didn't have any oppurtunities to clean the reefs and it was definitely time to do it again - we'll now try and do it on a regular basis (like we did in the past)
There has probably been an increase in the number of nets but the biggest difference is in the size of them, quite possibly the fishermen are also placing them closer to the islands than what they used to.
I would like to see slates on the boats so you can mark where the nets are for future clean-ups.

Hi Ian!
Nice to meet you here!
And it's also nice to know that you are doing something to protect and keep the area clean.
During our dives at the Dimanyiat last January I saw many nets, and some of them where for sure very difficult to be removed as many soft corals have been growing up through them.
So it would be a hard job to take those net away, maybe with scissors and patience.

When I'll be back to Oman you can bet that I'll help you!

I 've just created a new photoalbum on SB with photos taken in Oman.

Take care!

Ciao!

David

hiya Davide..

Good to 'see' you again

With many nets you have to be extremely careful - we don't remove all of them, it all depends on how integrated they have become, we cut away the parts that are easily accessible. If soft/hard corals are growing around or through the net, we don't do anything - we try to cause as little harm as possible. Same with fish cages, if they have floats, we leave them alone...if not, we turn the opening inside-out or cut open the sides...

Cheers
Ian

nice photos davide barzazzi!!! where are those Mediterranean sea photos taken??

Back
Top Bottom