Reef Club All Inclusive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongeursousmarin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
second trip to Cozumel coming up end of February. This time we've booked all inclusive at the Reef Club - we will be bringing our then 9 month old baby daughter and convenience is key. Anyway I wonder if anyone has any experience with this hotel, particularly when it comes to kids, baby-sitting,etc..
We'll be diving with Living Underwater, any experience with them is appreciated as well.
Thanks

We've been using Reef Club the last three years because of kids (last there 12/15-22/2004). Back in the '80s and early '90s we stayed downtown but the Reef Club is much easier. The kids club is great and really put on some good activities but I'm not sure if they can handle infants. Some here on the board don't like the food but we find it to be more than acceptable. Like anywhere, some things are better than others but there's enough that we all find something we like each meal. The snack bar is really handy, burgers dogs chips salsa and awesome guacamole. Our daughter is 8 and son is 12 and has been diving since 10. He's got 30 dives in Cozumel all at Sand Dollar Sports which is on site. I even went so far as to buy into the timeshare thing this last time down. If you're interested I'd be willing to sell a week. Several on the board really dislike Reef Club so if you want more info in general or interested in some time PM me.

Reef club is ok. I saw a baby in diapers being watched by the kids clu staff in Nov. Don't know how old thow. Hotel end is basic room time share is much nicer but every body eats same food. Nothing fancy at the buffet pork is big almost every meal. Snack bar closed 5-10pm. all in all not fancy not a dump -clean grounds I would say a working mans type of place. If you want to go to the fancy restuant on the premises no extra charge but men must wear long pants.

if you don't like to deal with timeshare hawks and you stay here or any other hotel that has these types of people on site you better let them know right up front NOT to bug you while you are on vacation. You may not be popular for the rest of the week as these types are aggessive to the point of harrassment, but get your message out and early may save you aggravation. I drove past the reef club the last 10 days a few times and the time share hawks were right on the road trying to get you to stop as you were driving. I have been diving in Cozumel for years and there are few things I really dislike about the Island, and the time share hawks are at the top.

I stayed there a few years back and liked it. Some people say it isn't good, but I found the rooms clean (tiled floors) and the staff friendly. The food was average. Not great, but for the price, good. The buffet is ok, the restuarant much nicer. I had some of the best grouper there! The included alcoholic drinks were decent, again, mcuh better at the restaurant. I am a "fruity" drinker, so that should be your measure on that!! :wink:

As far as the time share sales people, I agree, they are relentless if you do not put your foot down. I firmly said NO the first day and they didn't bother me much. I found them a bot annoying, as the rest of the trip, the would "look" at you, but I have tough skin and did not care. The waiters, maids and activities staff were all great and we enjoyed our trip very much.

Go and have fun. Stop worrying! I too spent the month before I left for that trip "worried" because I found so much negative on the internet AFTER I had booked the Reef Club. As it turned out, we had a GREAT trip! This was also the case at a resort in Honduras once, lots of "bad" hype made us crazy before we left, but it turned out fabulous!

HAVE FUN!!

It's tough to read through horror stories and not be wondering whether you're going to have a miserable time. Not a bif fan of timeshare salespeople so I'm not exactly looking forward to that aspect of the trip. I wonder how the hotel management can tolerate (promote?) time share hard sales on premises if it pisses off so many guests. It would make sense to have some sales office where people who are interested in time share would go instead of harpooning people left and right throughout the hotel as it seems.
Thanks all for your advice.

The first time we went (3 years ago) they asked the first day if I was interested and I said yes which was a mistake at that time. I didn't make it to the meetings so they were calling daily to reschedule. Eventually towards the end of the week I went, said no, and didn't get bothered again. Last year I didn't even get asked or bothered. Between the two trips they had made impovements to the resort which was encouraging. This last trip (12/2004) I had made my mind up to really look into it since the kids love it and we love the island (even got married in Coz on the beach across from Casa Del Mar). They have made even more improvements (new condos, additional timeshare buildings, new snack bar) but I wasn't approached so searched them out the second day. I went through the spiel and told them I would think about it. Didn't get bothered at all the rest of the week and finally pulled the trigger the last day. We love the Jr. Suites, nothing like hanging out on the balcony in a hot tub watching the sun go down. Different strokes for different folks.

We bought in to the vacation points program last August after stopping by during a week-long dive trip with a local (FL) dive shop. We were staying in downtown condos that trip and spending too much time on a slow dive boat each day. So far, we're happy with the purchase.

We spent a week in a beach front, 1st floor, Jr. suite in mid-December 2004 and in a 2nd floor Jr. Suite in mid-January. Both weeks we dove with Sand Dollar Sports and had no complaints. In late May we're going back and will have a 3rd floor Master Suite--Jr. Suite and connecting Studio Suite--with some family members. My only real negative is the noise from other units--especially from the upper floors to the lower. That's why we're going for the 3rd floor in May.

The food is basic buffet fare, but there is good variety, all you can eat quantity, and good, not great, quality. The suites have in-room small refrigerators that are stocked as part of the all-inclusive fee. This includes water, soft drinks, and beer--XX or Sol, no Coronas.

Our suites have all been clean and the maid service has been timely. Of course, we dive in the mornings and they service the room while we are out. I tip a few dollars daily, which certainly doesn't hurt.

Overall, with respect only to the Villas portion of the operation, we are happy. They are adding two additional buildings of Villas--one to be opened by June and another that hasn't started yet. They are also planning a member reception area and a convenience store. Those are probably 2006 items.

The adjacent dive operator is Sand Dollar Sports and we've had good service from them. Their normal two-tank dive fee is $60 US, but members get a 20% discount that drops the price to $48 US. It does appear that other dive operators stop at the pier to pick up and return divers who choose not to use Sand Dollar.

Again, this review applies only to the Villas/Suites portion of the Reef Club, but overall we are happy with them. Now, if we could just get the airfare from Orlando or Tampa reduced, it would be even better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom