REEF Fish Surveys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algal bloom

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if many people participate in the REEF fish surveys. I'm definitely going to start soon and wanted to see if anyone would like to get together for some dives. I sit around counting and identifying organisms all day long anyway so this is right up my alley!

Anyway, it seems like a cool project to help out with while diving and would like some info from members. (I've already checked out REEF's website.) Thanks!

Nathan

What is the website for that? I might be interested.

Paul

Check out www.reef.org. You just dive like you normally would except identify what fish you can (which is how I usually dive anyway). Read through the website to learn all about it. The best part is that it's free!

Nathan

I have done a couple surveys for them. I had no idea what I was looking at before I got the Ned Deloach fish ID book, but now i am much better. I would be interested in doing some more some time. Just let me know when.

I took REEF's fish ID course in Key Largo in December with my college dive club. On the dives since, I have only ID-ed a few species. It's still fun though, and definitely helps out the researchers.

There is also a local SE Florida non-profit organization similar to REEF, which is Ocean Watch. Rose and Will Wassertrom spearhead this organization and they also work in conjunction with REEF, conducting Fish ID courses, surveys, Beach clean-ups and Reef sweeps, and other things. Their website is www.oceanwatch.org.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom