Reef House trip report- Sept. 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, folks, here it finally is. This was our first trip to Roatan, and the airport experience didn't impress me much. Pretty confusing, but when Mike (the owner/operator) showed up, things started to click. We had all our luggage loaded into a van, and then we entered a nice air conditioned motor coach for the trip to the resort. This trip was a surprising hoot, as it gave us our first real taste of the island. It wound around the southern coast of the island for several miles, and then dodged inland for several more miles along the high backbone of Roatan with spectacular views across rain forest vistas on every side. When we finally came to the Oak Ridge turnoff, the road started getting more interesting. We threaded our way past loads of tiny local storefronts and mini businesses, and made our way closer and closer to the coast. Finally, when I thought the bus could go no further, It swung onto barely passable dirt roads and lurched up and down over snake paths untill it finally pulled into a small harbor yard. That is one trip I really would not wish to try on my own.:no: The luggage van was right behind us, and we then piled into one of Reef Houses boats for the little jaunt to the actual resort, which is located across the waterway on a narrow barrier island, along with several other houses. There is not a foot of waterfront here which is not built up with ramshackle houses, most all built on stilts over the water. There is a kind of intercoastal waterway which we were crossing, and there was all kinds of boat traffic and transport going on as we passed by. Facinating!:popcorn: We arrived at Reef House's dock, which was a large covered structure which housed the two main facility boats in slips with docking around them on three sides.
The resort itself is surprisingly large, and encompasses an entire slice of the island, from the dock area on the waterway out to the open oceanfront where the main structures were. The rooms were laid out in two areas,with a couple of them up a set of stairs in a building off to the east side of the main structure, but with most of them in an L shaped building which surrounded the center court area to the west and reached right up to the ocean edge on the south side. We had the end room right on the waters edge, which was a single queen size bed in a nice air conditioned space with plenty of room. A basic but serviceable private bathroom with shower was in a room off to one side, and a small closet alcove with mini shelves was also available. No room fridge, but Mike let me keep a jug of my private lemonade mix in one of the coolers in the bar area, so I didn't feel the lack. One word about that bathroom. I don't know about the other rooms, but the sink was mounted on a pedestal in mine, but not anchored to the backwall. This made things interesting if you tried to grab the sink for any reason, as it would shift about on that pedestal as if the plumbing was the only thing holding it.:shocked2: Oh well, something you get used to. The toilet arrangement is standard Caribbean setup, with flushing of toilet paper strongly discouraged and a waste basket next to the commode which is kept emptied faithfully. There was a nice TV setup in the room, which we never bothered to turn on. One piece of advice for Mike- mount reading lights over the head of the beds. :wink: Maybe the other rooms had them, but all we had was a small lamp on a bedside table which was sort of inconvenient, along with the large overhead lights. There was a power strip behind the TV, which served nicely for all our camera and battery charging needs. All in all, the room was not bad, and we have certainly stayed in FAR worse. (Oh man!:censored:) There was free WI-FI service to the rooms, which several others enjoyed, but for some reason my laptop could not access it.:idk: Something weird in my settings, I suppose. Mike anticipated this, however, and there is a public computer with internet access available in the main lounge. There is a large dining hall in the main building, set back from the lounge and bar area in the front half of it. Lots of decking all around the front of the place, with both covered and open lounge areas out overlooking the water. A looong concrete pier runs out into the ocean, right next to a fenced in section of the ocean which forms Reef House's famous ocean pool area. This area is only about 4 feet deep in the center, but is about 75 yards wide and runs nearly the entire length of the resort property. Mike has several sea turtles who are residing in this pool area while being studied prior to release, and all other manner of sea life are keeping them company. He even has a few lionfish in there, and they keep coming, despite numerous attempts to clean them out.:( That pool is a fantastic place for a leisurely swim, and there are a lot of tiny critters in the rocks and structures which form the edges of the pool. Great for a little macro photography!:D
Meals are served in the dining hall, and are waitress served from a fixed offering. If you have special dietary needs, they will bend over backwards to accomodate, but otherwise everybody gets the same food. The food, however, left no-one complaining. Their cook is a real treasure, and no short cuts were taken with the menu. The last night of our stay was grilled lobster tail and steak, for example.:kiss2: Breakfasts were fairly standard american fare, with a few creative island touches added. Lunches were varied and interesting, from grilled chicken wraps to unusually flavorful spaghetti [what did she do to that stuff?:drooling:], to coconut fried shrimp, and not a burger to be seen anywhere. Dinners were also creative, ranging from grilled chicken and shrimp kabobs, to beef fajitas with homemade tortillas, to an interesting grilled fish with curry sauce. Nothing too hot, but copious quantities of hot [and hotter!] sauce were available for those who desired such. Desserts of interesting types followed supper, but we were usually too full to partake. (Although my wife makes special note of the chocolate cobbler:dance3:) Juices were available at breakfast, and lemonade and sweet tea were present at the other meals. All in all, some of the best resort food we have ever had. Mike has a reputation for this, and he certainly lived up to it.:yeahbaby:
End of part one.

The diving setup was centered around the back end of the resort, with the two facility boats docked in front of the dive equipment areas and storage rooms. All equipment is taken off the boats at night and locked up in the storage and hanging areas, after you rinse them in the enormous fresh water rinse tank located in front of the shop. Mike has a lot of nice rental gear available, but I think we all had our own stuff. Tanks are filled in the compressor room behind the main equipment area, and fills were always generous. 80 ft. aluminum tanks are supplied, and fills were usually 3200-3300 psi. I was a special case, being the original airhog, but Mike came through for me and borrowed a set of hi pressure steel 100cf tanks, which were a godsend for me. :kiss2: He would assign us on either one boat or the other during breakfast, and arranged things so no one was taken to the same site twice. The boats were set up with radio, first aid kits and O2, and fresh cold water and snacks of some kind were provided for between dives. We did two dives in the morning, came back to the resort for lunch, and then went out again in the early afternoon for the third dive of the day, except for the day when the night dive was scheduled, when that would substitute for the third dive. Large tubs of fresh water were provided for cameras and also for masks and such. Trips out to the sites were usually fairly short, and we dived areas along the south coast on both sides of the resort. Once we passed an anchored dive boat from CoCoView, but otherwise we had the sea to ourselves, and never saw another diver underwater. Diving was usually along nice walls for the first half of the dive, with depths from 40-80 feet usually, and along the coral gardens above the walls for the second half of the dive back to the boat. Not much found in the way of larger critters, although several of us spotted a small squadron of eagle rays making their way along the reef. I found a nice nurse shark once, but that was it for sharks, I am afraid. This is all very consistent with several other reports from the area, however, and nothing we did not expect. A fair amount of the usual tropicals were on hand, with several nice eels, and a good number of lobster hiding under ledges and overhangs. Several crab were noticed to be out during the day, and the standout for me was the sea horses! We found several nice specimens, and I got my first really nice sea horse pictures!:yeahbaby: All boat dives were divemaster led, and were nicely done. Choco, the main divemaster, carried a spear and tried to execute as many lionfish as he could while on our dives, but that is a hopeless task, I fear. You kill one, and ten come to the funeral..:banghead:
A word about shore diving. Mike has a really nice setup for this, and will gladly assist anyone who wants to try this. He will cart your tank, weights, and any heavy stuff out to the end of his long pier, and you bring the rest of your gear. He will help you suit up if needed, and helps you get down the concrete stairs into the water. The water is only about 4 feet deep at the end of that pier, and not really suitable for jumping off. You swim out to sea between lots of neat coral heads, and the water deepens to about 25-30 feet by the time you reach the wall edge. There is a mooring buoy there for reference, and you can wander off to either side for some really good diving. This is some of the best shore diving I have seen, and if I had more stamina I would have been out there every afternoon. You are responsible for yourself on these dives, of course, but this is rather nice for us photographers who are always dogging behind the main group on led dives. No one to care if you spend 5 minutes working on a shot of a coral banded shrimp (except maybe for your partner :eyebrow:).
Non-diving activities? The place is set up for diving, of course, but other pursuits are available. Excursions into town can be set up, and water taxis will bring you almost anywhere along the coast. Zip lining and trips to tropical gardens and the Iguana farm are also popular, especially on Friday afternoon, when the week's diving is pretty much done in preparation for air flights on Saturday. Such activities are at additional cost, of course, but not much else is. The bar is set up on an honor system and soft drinks, beer and wine, and hard drinks are all available. Mike is set up with blenders, mixers, tropical drink ingredients, and pretty much everything you could want, and you serve as your own bartender. The usual one drink and you are done diving for the day policy is in force, but we had no problems there. There is a small gift shop just off the lounge, and the honor system again prevails. Mike also has some interesting native Honduran coffee for sale, either ground or in bean form, and at $8 a pound bag, I consider that a great gift to bring back for others (or yourself?:cool3:)
In summation, I found Reef House to be everything people have been telling me it was, and then some. Mike is to be commended for running a really classy operation, and this was brought home to me even more during the final couple of days of the trip. We ran afoul of some weather, with tropical storm Micheal making a very unusual deviation south of the main hurricane track and coming right up along the northern Honduran coast and right past us.:fear: A couple of other places went so far as to close and kick out their guests early to fend for themselves :mooner:, and there was a very real threat of the airport closing on Saturday and trapping all of us here for an unknown period of time. A couple of us chickened out and paid extra to fly out on Friday morning, as they couldn't risk being stuck down here. Mike, however, said that if worst came to worst, we could just stay until things worked out. We all kept an eagle eye on the storm's progress:nailbiter:, and although we got some real wind and rain on Friday night, Saturday morning was clear and calm, and the flights home went off without a hitch:coolingoff:. That is, except for running us all through security TWICE for no apparent reason. Ah well, minor grumbles, I guess. The Reef House experience itself was of the finest quality, and you can bet we will return.
Oh, one final thought- the bug situation...I had done considerable research here, and was aware of the many reports of people being eaten badly by sand fleas, or "no-see-ums". I thusly came prepared with lots of DEET, and special anti-itch preparations for use if the bugs got through my defenses. And what was the upshot? Nowhere near as bad as I had feared. Most of these critters hang out in sandy areas, like beaches, and Reef House has no "beach" and precious little sandy area. We found ourselves not using the DEET as much as we had planned, and even then experienced only a few bites which were nicely treated with my other preparations (Discussed ad nauseum in other threads here). So, big deal. And to think that I had let this keep me away from Roatan up until now.:bonk: Well, no longer. In the immortal words of Governor Arnold, "I'll be back!"

Woody,

Thanks for the detailed report. It does sound 100% consistent with others I've read.

I was at Coco View last month and will be at Fantasy Island in December. After reading many descriptions of Reef House, I think I will really enjoy it's smallness and personal touch.

I sometimes travel alone and RH seems like a great place for that. Small, friendly. Everyone eating meals together at the same table. I'm not the most outgoing, so RH seems like it would be a great place for a single diver.

I see on their website where they invite you to email them for info on last-minute reservations. I'm trying to go on several trips per year, so cost is a consideration. I'm planning to give them a call in January to see if I can get a deal on a week in February.

It sounds to me like a place where you'd be happy to go back to on a regular basis.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

Ron

Ahhh, RHR... wishing I was still there! Thanks for a great report! Though I think you have Choco (captain) and Davitt (divemaster) mixed up :)

Well I was going to write up a trip report because I was there with Woody that week but he stole my thunder! Just to add, Davit is the DM and Choco drives the boat. Also, Mike will be getting another dive boat any week now. He is getting one that was used by the Bay Island Beach Resort. So in the future there will be plenty of room on the two dive boats because he will "retire" the smaller boat which we had 7 to 8 divers on.

All in all, when I return to Roatan, I won't consider staying anywhere else except RHR. While I have never stayed at Anthony's Key, I have stayed at CocoView and while I had a good time there, I found the experience at the RHR to be far superior in the quality/taste of food as well as superior diving. In all my years of traveling throughout the Caribbean, I have never seen anyone work any harder than Mike at RHR to try and please his guests.

I think you have Choco (captain) and Davitt (divemaster) mixed up :)

ARRGH!:whack: I am terrible with names. You are right, of course. At least I got Mike's name right- or was it Matthew? Malachi? Again- ARRGH! Woody

Great report WM. Thanks. My son and I are heading there this Sat Jan 1, 2011. Anyone else out there going to be joining us?

We will be there on Jan.8th-Jan.29. Two couples on the 8th and 4 more couples on the 15th. Its our first time to Reef House, so we are really looking forward to it because of all we have read about it.

We will be there on Jan.8th-Jan.29.

3 weeks in paradise? :drooling: Man, I wish I could get that much time off! Say hello to Mike for me.:D Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom