ReefMaster Maxx vs. Sea & Sea Deluxe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to the underwater photography and have been looking at 2 steups-SeaLife ReefMaster Maxx($619.00) and the Sea & Sea Mx10 Deluxe($949.00). I think the biggest difference is the ability to switch lenses(to a 20mm.) and the simple design of the MX10-but is it worth $350.00 more???-especially for a beginner??

Thanks
Mike

I got a SeaLife Reefmaster as a gift for my first UW camera about three years ago. It is incredibly easy to use, plus you can use the "interior" camera for above-water, thus you only need to take the one on trips. I've gotten some incredible pictures -- and several UW photographers thought I was using a Nikonos and strobe. So, although it is sometimes the camera, it is also the person using the camera.

I also had the chance to use an MX5 and MX10. Both are nice, but I didn't think worth the cost difference. The Reefmaster is point and shoot, but you need to evaluate what you want and then purchase the camera to meet that need.

I've just gotten a new digital video cam and the Gates housing is on the way. But, I am keeping my Reefmaster as it is a nice camera and very easy to use.

If you are determined on one or the other, get the Sealife. If you are even "slightly" willing to spend that much for the MX-10, spend a little more and get a much, much, much, much better camera, a Nikonos V. So many people think that just because the two cameras you are looking at are simpler in design, that they are simpler to use, they are not. A Nik V can be set up to be used as a point and shoot camea, so you can learn the basics, and will allow you to grow into more difficult and creative photography. If you are sure that you would never buy a Nik V, than get a MMII EX. I own both a MMII EX and a Nikonos V, in my opinion, the Nik V is a 400% better camera than the MMII EX, for about 25% more money.
Dive Safe,
Rooster

I have to agree with sactomags. I am also new to u/w photo and recently purchased a Sealife Reefmaster RC. It's a great value camera (PerformanceGear for $185 with the case or $210 w/macro lens). I was so disappointed with my first attempts at u/w photo (told people that the fish "just swam out of the frame"). So my advise is spend that extra money on an u/w photo training session. But hey, if your budget allows for the nicer set up, I'd go for the Reefmaster Maxx or the Nik V (heard rave revues on both).

I'm hoping to bring back some nice pics from St. Thomas next week. Getting my advanced O/W and will definitely be taking the u/w photo as one of my elective dives.

Good luck. I look forward to sharing pics with you.

Back
Top Bottom