E-PL5 vs SeaLife DC1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
[h=1]With about a $600 difference between the setups below, I'm looking for some feedback; pros and cons of each. This will be my first photography setup. Thanks.

Olympus E-PL5 Camera, Housing and Sea&Sea Strobe Package vs SeaLife DC1400 Underwater Digital Camera Maxx Duo Set[/h]

I just got my e-pl5, and just saying wow. It focuses faster than anything I have ever owned. I started with sealife cameras, I had a mini, DC600, DC1000 and a DC1200. If you think you're going to really get into it I would pony up and go for the oly camera that allows you to shoot everything manually and in raw (although the new sealife may, not sure). I give props to sealife, their systems are easy to use and their strobes are really quite good. I've also had exceptional luck with sealife any time I have needed service. I don't know about Olympus because I have never had to have service. After my sealife cameras I went to the E-PL1 and I really did like the flexibility it gives. I just upgraded to the E-PL5 because its 16mp, faster focus, newer processor etc. . . The E-PM1 deal listed above really is amazing, although you will buy a tray, handles, arms and strobe in addition to the camera, housing and zoom gear. Bottom line, I have used both and like both; however, I shoot Olympus for the greater flexibility in and out of the water. Just my two cents.

Considering, that this will be your first UW setup, I completely understand that you are conservative on spending. I am also beginner underwater but
have more than a decade semipro shooting experience topside and just recently got an EPL5 as second body.
Before decided to move the EPL5 underwater, I made sure the image quality meets my needs. (OTOH, I was sure, compacts are not my cup of tea)
Then coming the rest. Ergonomy, weight, size, etc. At the end, I wanted a cost-efficient answer, which ruled the OMD out
(OMD underwater - body & housing+semidome: 2700$, EPL5 - same package - 1700$)

As for IQ, the E-PL5 wins, hands down. This is THE camera that beats - or at least matches - the nikon D90 and Canon 600D in IQ. As Headers mentioned, great AF.
Other than the 5-axis IS, it shares guts with the 2x more expensive OM-D.
The sealife is only a 1/2.33" compact, and it doesn't shoot raw. (might be an issue if the exposure or white balance is not spot on).

Notwithstanding, I'd take the sealife any day as a pocket/clip-on camera for snorkelling!

Sounds like it's worth the additional $ for the Oly. Thanks.

Every penny:wink:

Last edited:
Of course I haven't taken it under water yet but it put the 60mm on my new e-pl5 and I took this pic of the condensation on a glass sitting on my desk. I posted this in another thread as well. P6270008.jpg I'm drooling at the macro possibilities here:

mjh:
Thanks for the link. They have the following setup for $1,489:
[h=1]Optical Ocean Olympus PT-EP10/Sea & Sea Value Package[/h]What am I missing? It seems like a very low price for that camera, housing, and strobe. Thanks.

I don't think it includes the camera. Just housing and accessories.

mjh:
Thanks for the link. They have the following setup for $1,489:
Optical Ocean Olympus PT-EP10/Sea & Sea Value Package

What am I missing? It seems like a very low price for that camera, housing, and strobe. Thanks.

Headers:
I went back and read the description, and yes, it apears that the camera is not included. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom