Reefmaster mini SL320 or Canon A570IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chace_nicol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there..I have minimal underwater photog experience. I had a point & shoot w/no strobe & gave up because of the dreaded "blue".

Fast forward...I have come across a Sealife 960 strobe and need help deciding between two cameras. The Canon A570IS with canon housing or possible Ikelite housing or the reefmaster miniSL320. I would like to just take decent pictures for memories that are not totally blue and shoot some video. I primarily shoot in Cozumel. The strobe is compatible with both with the flashlink cord. I have done some research & read that the sealife is fixed focus, doesn't sound good but what does that mean for photo quality?

Any pointers appreciated from you guys & to be fair I have posted this in the canon corner as well.

TIA
Chace Nicol

Last edited:
Forget the Reefmaster. The Canon is a far superior tool for both topside and UW shooting.

The only niggle about the Canon is that the WA is 35mm. That is not very wide at all, actually rather *normal*.

You may want to look for a camera that supports 28mm. That is still not super wide, but much better than 35mm, and about as wide as the PnS lines go.

If you really like that model despite the 35mm WA maximum, I have read a lot of good reviews from UW shooters on that model.

Yeah, I would like to have the wide angle. Maybe an external one on the canon or ikelite housing? The price difference between the two housings in only $30. I just wonder if the flashlink cord works with both of the housings because if it worked with only one or the other (canon or ikelite) that would make my decision. Video ok with the Canon?

Thanks

I have to commend SeaLife Joe. I asked him a couple questions today via PM and he was very helpful & quick to respond.

Either at 28mm or 35mm underwater through the housing's flat port per Snell's Law, multiplication factor of 1.33X, neither are wide angle or even close.

35mm underwater = 42.3 degrees FOV

28mm underwater = 51.6 degrees FOV

Ikelite/Canon 570 with Inon 100WAL = 90 to 100 degree FOV underwater

Ikelite/Canon 570 with Inon 100WAL and dome = 130 plus degrees FOV underwater

Ikelite/Canon DC-12 with Canon 570 and Inon 165AD fisheye lens = up to 165 degrees FOV underwater

Then there is the consideration that wet mount lenses, almost all of them work better with native 35mm lens and only one works optimally for the 28mm lenses and it is a bayonet mount, not threaded.

The Canon 570 takes excellent video.

Between the two cameras listed the discontinued Canon 570 is far and away the better camera, there is no comparison.

N

thank you for the info, I would have never found all that :)

I'm going to research that the SeaLife strobe & tray w/cord will for sure work with both housings because I really need to make a housing decision.

Sorry for the late entry into this thread.

Well I would guess everyone would figure out which direction I will go....

I won't make a big sales pitch here but point out a few things you should consider:

1) The SL960 is a fixed power output strobe that works well with a sealife camera as they are sync'd to each other with our camera programing. Witht he Canon it will take some time to get used to using the strobe U/W as land cameras require preflash to adjust the settings. To use the 960 you would need to turn the pre-flash off. Our latest flash the Digital Pro Flash has Pre-Flash cancelation which works with land cameras pre flash systems as well as a sensitivity adjustment as well.
2) Yes the SL320 is a fixed focus but that camera was designed for the user that wants a rugged shockproof, waterproof camera. Fixed focus also reduces to practically zero the shutter lag as there is no waiting for the camera to focus or make adjustments onc ethe shutter button is pushed, thus no more tail shots! Also no lens gears to break if you drop the camera....OOPS
3) The SL320 does have a wide angle lens available for it. The others would require an aftermarket lens which coul dbe $$$$
4) With the SeaLife product you get a full warranty on the camera, so if anything goes wrong, you send it back for warranty. When purchasing a land camera and then a housing....who covers the camera if the housing floods?
5) The canon is a great camera and probably will be better on land. I can't argue that but you have to look at the total cost of the system and future costs for parts or service.

My final point is that you enjoy what you doing. Shooting pics underwater is awesome and please share your photos with non divers as everyone should have the chance to experience the underwater world.

Sorry, veered of path a little.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom