reevaluating weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divergirl

Registered
Reaction score
I am going from a 3 mm (winter suit) to a 1 mm (summer suit) - how should I adjust my weights? for this change? still same weight - just change in bouyancy from wetsuit. help - diving this weekend and want to be weighted correctly

As a rule, I don't suffer from jealousy, but anyone who can regard a 3mil suit as "Winter" makes me green with envy!!!

A buoyancy check before your first dive will take away most of the guess work, and you can fine tune it on later dives.

Enjoy!!

Luxary of living in S. Florida, but I'm going to Aruba for vacation, so will have to try and gauge it then. Thanks.

It is nearly impossible to answer your question since you provide no information such as, how much are you carryng now? Other than suit thickness, is everything else the same? Gloves? Hood? Tank Size?
I would venture to say that you could assume that you will require some less than before.

Tuning your bouyancy is part of the first dive.
For what its worth, I try to do a shore dive before going out on a boat dive. The shore dive allows me to do an equipment and bouyancy check so that I'm not fumbling around on the boat.

No matter what, be safe and have fun.

Assuming both are saltwater, I would drop a little weight, say 2 lbs and do a dive. Being a little overweighted is a pain but a lot less than being underweighted. Then AT THE END of the dive with about 500 psi in the tank, do a good bouyancy check (if at all possible remove weights as needed) and record all of the important info. Then the next time you do a similar dive, you have the info at hand, yea, my log book is boring, mostly equipment info and very little on the dive itself but I know what weight to use..

Originally posted by DiverDave
As a rule, I don't suffer from jealousy, but anyone who can regard a 3mil suit as "Winter" makes me green with envy!!!

You got that right. Around here: Winter=7mm, summer=3/2mm for most. (winter does not include ice diving for most)

Herman - my log book is similar. I record the "techi" side first then the "fun" side. Techi being wieghts, suit, air use. Fun being critters and activity.

As for weights, I'd follow Herman's suggestion, drop a bit and check your bouyancy. If you're not sure, ask the boat/resort operator for their opinion. They probably have had the question asked before, and have a very good idea of what you'll need.

I'm even jealous of you Diving Gal... a one mm suit is just a pipe dream for me.

winter=7mm (or dry)
summer=7mm (or dry)

-kate

Divergirl,

Consider trying this:

(1) Use the amount of wts you are currently using.
(2) Put 1 or 2 lbs of that wt into a BC pocket instead of your wt belt or integrated pouches.
(3) Judge your descent and initial bouyancy at the bottom of the anchor line or mooring line.
(4) If your descent is "easier" than usual and you need to add lots of air to your BC to obtain your normal bouyancy, leave that 1 or 2 lb wt next to the anchor or mooring line and pick it up at the end of your dive.
(5) Repeat as necessary.

You should tell the DM what your are doing so he will not think you are "littering".

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom