Reference material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdsd

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently bought Solo Diving, The Art of Underwater Self Sufficiency by Robert Van Maier. I found it to be a reasonable good book that reinforced the self-rescue lessons in Rescue Diver class and some other thought provoking ideas about the buddy system, etc.

But ... I want to learn about techniques, specific gear configurations, lessons learned, etc.

Are there other reference sources (books, websites, etc)? Or is the classroom the next step? Seems like tech diving is the next step. Not sure I want to make a large dollar investment in classes or eqpt changeover at this stage.

Any recommendations? What are others doing to educate themselves? What are others doing to learn skills? What are others doing to gear up?

I believe the most important lesson for solo diving is experience from many buddy dives in different enviroments. If you have to ask what equiptment configuration or what you need to learn I feel you probably do not have enough experience to solo dive. More than anything you need enough experience to feel completely comfortable alone.

Captain

That book is sitting on my shelf and I have quoted from it several times. It is kind of general and in all actuallity I did not find it particularly helpful. As I continue to explore thoughts on solo diving I have come to the conclusion that simple is better than complex, some increased redundancy is needed but if you stay within the rules he suggests within the book regarding depth and distance etc one could dive with very little redundancy. Further, I question the need for an ocatpus regulator system while solo. I can understand two fully independent regulators rigged on a Y or double manifold or even a pony (not to start that again) but what good is an octapus? It's only real purpose is buddy support and not redundancy and we don't have a buddy!
What began my recent quest into streamlined and simplified diving rigs and also into solo diving was my interest in kayak supported diving. The kayak offers little room for the "dive shop" diver so common in our experience. Gear must be compact, integrated and simple. My continued and renewed interest in so called "vintage" diving has returned my thinking to a time before BCs and our current style of gear dependent diving. I can see for solo now a system built around a wing and BP, no dangling consoles and octa units. No hoses long or short bungeed around. No bungeed necklace regulators for an imaginary buddy we don't have. I see a depth guage on the wrist, a watch on the other and a SPG clipped close on the harness. I see no need for breathing redundancy unless you intend diving deeper than twice your free dive limit or intend some kind of penetration. For more robust systems I see a Y/H valve arrangement or doubles with seperate regs or a pony of approx 1/3 the main systems capacity. Since I am into light weight, compact and simple my newest system is being built around two aluminum 50s on an old double outlet manifold. It has a center outlet for my Royal Aquamaster and a side post for my backup single hose. The tanks will be configured on a BP with a simple wing or in some cases no wing. I will use one mechanical depth guage, one watch, one mechanical automatic timer, one compass on the wrist as well and a knife on my belt and other gear such as lights or whatever depending on the mission. Depending upon if I am diving from shore or my boat or my kayak I may change to a steel 80 or 100 single and if I am going much deeper than about 60 feet I may rig that on a H valve or a 25 cf pony. I may choose not to use a BC in some cases at all but in that case I would have a rescue float, or similar device in a stowaway pocket etc on the BP. That is my thoughts and it may change as I continue to think it all over and try the stuff out in real use. N

Nemrod:
.............. N

Thanks, Nemrod. Oustanding post. Gives me some more food for thought.

Interesting persprective on the octo, I've had similar thoughts.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking through various scenarios where a solo diving profile is an alternative or preferred.

I still like a bungeed secondary even while diving solo, espically I'm if I'm diving doubles. Then again, I guess I can see your point in very shallow water.

mdsd:
Thanks, Nemrod. Oustanding post. Gives me some more food for thought.

Interesting persprective on the octo, I've had similar thoughts.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking through various scenarios where a solo diving profile is an alternative or preferred.

Please consider that I did not mean my post as the best way to do this, just the method I am attempting which may or may not be best for you, just kind of a brainstorming session to see what shakes out! Thanks N

Well, I've done a lot of solo diving over the years, and the gear varies.

In the US Air Force, we soloed each time we went on a parascuba jump. This was the time period of 1967 to 1977. We jumped with a set of double 42s (steel converted life raft CO2 bottles, rated at 2100 psi), a double manifold with a J-valve, and a single-hose regulator which was just that, a single hose. I have many water jumps in this configuration, without a mishap. We at times needed to descend to about 90 feet for parachute retrieval, etc.

Later, when I was going to school, I dove the twin 42s with a double hose regulator on a number of scientific dives, some of which were solo (due to water visibility). Again, sometimes I wore either a double hose regulator or a single hose reg.

In 1973, I dove the Warm Mineral Springs Underwater Archeological Project, where they introduced me to the concept of an octopus (I was a NAUI Instructor at the time, and octopus regulators were not yet common). I have been diving them ever since. I bought a Trieste II double hose regulator about that time, and set it up with an octopus. I dove it both buddy diving and solo mainly with my twin 42s. I also dove single 72s with double hose regs (Dacor R4, DA Aquamaster and Mistral), and with some single hose too (AMF Voit MR-12).

After marrying and settling down in a small community without many divers, but with a nice river, I began diving solo in earnest. The river was great fun for diving, and I learned a lot. I also dove many combinations of gear. The twin 42s had to go, as they were deamed unsafe by the USAF (and my contacts in the Air Force told me they had drilled theirs, so I drilled mine--I was really sorry to see them go though). I bought a set of twin 42s (Sherwood) with a Sherwood double manifold, and began a lot of experiments on the double hose regulators. My favorite was a Healthways Scuba Delux, which I put USD hoses on and used with a single hose for a backup--sometimes. I felt (and still feel) very comfortable diving to 35 feet with only one regulator, no octopus, and no backup. If things go wrong, surface! It's that simple.

I dove singles too, and enjoyed the Scubapro AIR I/Mark VII combination with an octopus for many years (and still do). I don't think there is a regulator made that can out-perform it yet, especially on exhaust exhalation resistance. It is a wet breather though, especially in certain positions.

I developed various concepts in buoyancy control during this period, and finally patented a front-mount BC with pockets for an octopus second stage in about 1986. I still use it today--the most expensive BC ever built, as only two were ever made, and the patent cost me a bunch of $s.

My thoughts on solo is that you need to be very comfortable in the water first. That means comfortable with all your gear, comfortable that you can handle situations where gear malfunctions (regulators leak water, fins are sometimes lost in current, etc.), and if you are that comfortable, then solo is a very neat way to dive. If you are shallow, and have the proper skills, you don't need a lot of equipment (like Nemrod says above).

But I draw a definate line for safety too. That is two atmospheres of diving solo. I won't dive greater than about 60 feet solo. If you are deep, dive decompression, dive inside a shipwreck or under an overhead obstruction, you need a COMPETANT buddy. I also happen to believe that if you dive a decompression dive, you need a recompression chamber on-site, immediately available, to do so safely. To dive DIR, without a decompression chamber available and on decompression dives, you are inviting a book to be written about your dive, such as was written about in the book The Last Dive. If conditions don't look right, if I don't feel right, if something is out-of-place, on solo dives I simple either don't dive, or abort. There were several times last year where I got my gear together, drove to the river dive site, looked it over, and decided to go to the bicycle shop instead. But there were several other times where I dove, and had a great time.

Concerning the usefullness of an octopus second stage when diving solo, there are a couple of times they come in handy (but it is very rare).

--I was diving at Edmonds Underwater Park when my Trieste II double hose regulator suddenly would not give me any air; I switched to my octopus and kept diving (I modify my regulators, and a venturi baffle I had glued into the mouthpiece had come loose, and blocked the non-return).

--Last summer, my DX Overpressure double hose regulator developed a hole in the mouthpiece, which gave me a good spray of water whenever I inhaled. I was wearing my twin 42s, with a backup Sherwood Blizzard regulator, which I switched to.

I guess these examples were all with older-style, modified gear, but they do show that there can be a reason for a solo diver to wear an octopus. But again, the solo diver could also just surface too.

SeaRat

John, super post with some excellent points. I am thinking on the same lines as you with regards to an octapus especially when used as a backup to a double hoser. That way if you get it flooded (which has never been a problem) one could just switch to the octapus momentarily while the double hoser is cleared.
I am thinking that if the guidelines in the Solo Diving book are followed much of the need for an octapus and redundent breathing are eliminated especially if using modern single hose gear etc.
Yes, your observations on the DIR/Tech etc decompression diving without a chamber on site follows my thoughts exactly but I guess they know what they are doing, scary to me though.
I think for solo if one is going to have redundancy(except maybe as a backup to a dh reg) rather than an octapus just set up duel regulators etc. on a double manifold. If using modern gear this should present no problem. As to the long hose of DIR, I see no need for that in Solo diving at all. I am not sure I see it even with a buddy, at least I am not setting up that way and don't intend to at this time. For buddy divingI think a sligtly longer hose on my primary using one of my Tekna or Omega units (which can be flipped) and my secondary on a standard hose clipped on my harness or bungeed on my neck should work. Just my thoughts now and they can change at any moment--lol. Thanks. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom