Refilling old compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got an old Farallon compass that doesn't work too well because the fluid's leaked. It has a refill screw in the back, but I'm not sure what to put in it. I let a few drops out and it felt more like oil than water or spirits. Does anyone know what I should refill with? I was planning on draining before refilling just to hopefully get some of the gunk out, but I'd rather not end up with bubbles one liquid inside a different liquid when I'm done.

Liquid paraffin, or mineral oil always works. The compass itself has limited use apart from passing your Advanced:D

Yeah, I've got a Sherwood I usually use, but I figured having an extra in my bag can't hurt.

I tend toward mineral oil. It's cheap and readily available.

Not knowing what's already in there, I'm not sure if you'll be 100% able to avoid different liquid bubbles. To be as sure as you can, you can do some tests. Start by saving the liquid you remove and then placing a drop on top of a small amount of your new liquid.

If the old is heavier, you can just fill it and forget it since the old liquid will go and hide at the bottom of the compass (unless you're trying to read it while you're inverted).

If the old is lighter, then you can try filling it and then compressing it with your hand while putting the screw back in, allowing some liquid to escape. This will help push out any of the old liquid to minimize bubbles. You may have to do this a time or two.

Also, slightly compressing it with your hand will help eliminate any air bubbles as well.

Enjoy!

I can't speak to your brand of compass, but I came across an empty Oceanic. I filled it up with mineral oil and it caused the compass to spin way too slowly. I had a heck of a time getting all the oil out, but I wound up filling it with distilled water and sealing the hole I had to make with an epoxy that cures under water. It rotates as quickly as it is supposed to. I had contacted Oceanic about what was in their compasses, but they ignored me. Silly me, I thought they had to supply a MSDS sheet on request. Anyway, my research lead me to conclude that various compasses may be filled with just about anything from mineral oil to compass oil to mineral spirits to water. I think as long as I don't freeze mine, its fine.

Drain it out. Fill a container with mineral oil and immerse the compass. Get all the bubbles out and put the screw back in.

There is a mineral oil used for sewing machines (Sewing Machine Oil).
It's crystal clear and light as water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom