Reg computer died again, what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubby-doo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
:eyebrow:The wife's computer battery did again. only used once since last repl. a yr ago. It is an Oceanic datamax pro. one simple blue button. we go dive in June and I need to decide what to replace. what would you do, what is best for me to do ?
1- replace her entire 1st and 2nd stage with computer with new unit.
2- get her a computer wrist watch that i can use as backup, keep using current octo.
3- give her my current octo and computer and i get a new octo with wrist watch computer.

we only dive 1-2 times per year but like having own gear in case we can go more often.

i have a scuba pro with a genesis computer. i do like the idea of wrist computer as backup. $500-1000 budget.
:eyebrow: :)

Get rid of the computer on the console. Put a simple SPG on her reg and get her a basic nitrox computer. They can be found for less than $400 bucks. I also am wondering at your terminology. The 1st stage goes on the tank. The primary second is the one you breathe off of. The octo is the one you would donate to your buddy. The computer would be in the console with the SPG. The only thing you need to replace is the computer. No need to spend more than the $400 already noted. Take the savings and buy her a new pair of earrings or diamond tennis bracelet.

Short battery life can often be attributed to storage issues: if you're leaving the computer somewhere that something can activate it (press on the buttons) its not hard to kill a battery in short order. Make sure that nothing is bumping against the buttons in storage or transit, accidentally activating it.

Jim has a point about dumping the thing - it's old technology and. obviously, has some issues. I'm a fan of computers for novice divers but this dinosaur probably isn't the answer.

I would pick up a new unit. No sense struggling with an old piece of equipment. For $400 you can find a nice brass and glass SPG and an EAN wrist computer (Zoop, Veo and Puck lines are all very good IMO). For $500 you can find air integrated Puck consoles. Just over $600 has you into an Oceanic ProPlus 2.1. All of these would be new units.

They all do the same thing and they each work about as well as the other. The choice usually comes down to preference.

Are you saying that you dive once or twice a year and are thinking of replacing your wife's regulator because the battery on your computer died?

Just trying to get a clear picture of why you wouldn't just replace the battery. Do you want a new computer?

This is posted in the regulator forum? I think some clarification is needed from the OP. I guess the answer is ... just replace the battery or get a new wrist computer if you don't like the old computer but it is puzzling with all of the talk about the regulator.

@aklinz,

So ven exactly did jou develop zees necro-thread post obsession?

Two revivals of der same thread a jaar apart, jou must zeek treatment, ja professional treatment voor diz affliction.

Back
Top Bottom