Reg Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeNomad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this gets asked here all the time, but I did want to ask some questions about the regulator's I was considering that are not all addressed by all threads.

I am diving in cold waters, so i am primarily looking for an environmentally sealed reg, good for nitrox and if possible I do like the bubbles out of my face. With these qualities I have been looking at the Apeks, ScubaPro, Oceanic, and Poseidon brands. I am also considering the whether or not to buy used versus buying new with warranty. I am a student, so cost is always a consideration - meaning, would it be smarter for me to buy a used high-end reg versus a new entry level reg?

One of my friends has a Poseidon set with a Cyclone and Jetstream, and it is an impressive reg set, the only downside about it is the annual fees for maintenance he complains about. If I would go for an used regulator I might consider Poseidon, but there is only one dive shop in my area (only in the province to) that services the reg's. I am rather concerned about servicing if I were to travel aboard though.

Regarding Apeks there appears to be a number of nice regulators that would suit my purposes: the ATX 200, ATX 50, and XTX 50 are all good qualifiers. The Black Pearl is quite shiny, though I am thinking it is just a pricey version ATX 200 that I probably couldn't afford. The Apeks warranty is not transferable as far as I know, but they do not provide parts for life, so I am thinking this might be a decent regulator to buy used?

The ScubaPro MK17 seems to be the favourite for cold water diving. It appears to be easily serviced, and does have the parts for life program. So, if I went this route it would be best to purchase new to save money in the long run.

I have dived on a lot of Oceanic regulator's so far, and I don't have complaint's. I have tried the Delta 4's and the GT 3's with either of the Octo's. My preferred LDS does carry and service these, so they might be a solid choice. I have not heard many reccomendations for Oceanic on these boards though.

No one in my area sells or services Atomics, so I don't believe they are an option for me unless I want to drive 300 km or mail them in for servicing. Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Well I owned a Jetstream and sold it because I just couldn't justify the maintenance costs compared to a Zeagle, and after I got the Zeagle I actually preferred it's performance over the Poseidon. I consider the Black Pearls just fancy ATX 200's, so I don't think I would consider those highly if you are worried about price. I am currently looking at buying an Oceanic Delta 4 to put alongside my Zeagle on my doubles. I own 3 other Oceanic Regs and love their performance. Oceanic also has a parts for life program for their regs, and the Canadian distributor is from Edmonton (I think), so you would have no problem with supply and service at all. I don't have any personal experience with Scubpro, but I'm told they are quite good quality, and I think you would likely be happy with Scubapro/Apeks/Oceanic as far as performance and quality goes. Used high end regs can be had at a bargain, but you lose the advantage of the lifetime parts warranty when you go that route.

I have dove both sets, I currently own a dual cyklon (Poseidon's) and dual ATX 200's (APeks) your friend is right, the maintenance costs of the Poseidon's here in Western canada is a little sdiscouraging, east coast not so bad. But as for upkeep and ease of use and possible advancement (usually the next question) I love the Apeks!! Easy to get serviced, easy to find, price is very reasonable, and a ton of shops do the service. THey are very realiable (cold vs warm water) and have great performance characteristics. As for SCUBAPRO or OCEANIC, I cannot comment, both hav very good reputations, but as with any regulator, you have to consider maintenance and ease of service (local shops???) Ask around and poke your head (search this site and THE DECO STOP) as there are a lot of very good divers in your neck of the woods!! IF you have anymore questions feel free to PM or email. I by no means am an expert. but I don't mind sharing some of the things I have picked up along the way.

Karl
k.woolfsmith@sasktel.net

OK.. Student.

Get Apeks ATX50 or MK17/G250HP. You don't need to spend more only for a cosmetic.

Had Jetstream many years ago - sold it and got an Apeks - Jetstream was very nice at depths greater than 35 m but Apeks much much nicer in shallower water, easier/cheaper to service and very good in deep as well, and they don't need special LP hose with OP valve.

Started changing to Zeagle about 4 years ago - it seems to me that they are similar to Apeks with regard to performance but with more reliable first stage HP seat (it's replaceable - ATX 200 also has replaceable HP seat but there was a period when people were having probs with these). Also don't like the hard exhaust Tee on new second stages - but that is not too significant.

If you don't have a friendly dive shop that will sell you service kits, Apeks parts are relatively easy to find online (eBay or Germany if all else fails), but Zeagle parts can be easily sourced officially at both Scuba Toys (US) or Dive Tub (Australia) - both shops are really great and ship internationally, Dive Tub even has a shopping trolley for service kits and parts making it my new favorite place to buy Zeagle regulators. If parts were readily available, I would also consider the Aqualung Legends series.

Sorry to drift of topic a bit as you may not be interested in servicing regs.

A fantastic cheap reg is the Zeagle DS V - I can't tell the difference between this and and top end Apeks/Zeagles down to 50 m - and its compact and environmentally sealed with a dry chamber.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am interested in finding out more about the Apeks since I have next to no knowledge concerning them. Does Apeks offer a parts for life program like ScubaPro? Also, what is the differences between the ATX and XTX line-up? I have been trying to find a chart of some sort, but for the most part the regulators seem to be pretty similiar.

Also, I might be interested in servicing my own regulators in the future. I am currently thinking about the ScubaPro MK17, or the Apeks ATX 50 or 200. Can you get certification to work on your own equipment without voiding the warranty, and still get the parts for life?

DeNomad:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am interested in finding out more about the Apeks since I have next to no knowledge concerning them. Does Apeks offer a parts for life program like ScubaPro?
Yes, at least in the US but only for regs bought from an authorized Aqualung dealer. I believe Canada works similarly. Here is a link to some light reading from Aqualung on the subject.

DeNomad:
Also, what is the differences between the ATX and XTX line-up? I have been trying to find a chart of some sort, but for the most part the regulators seem to be pretty similiar.
The first stages are very similar. The difference is mostly that the ATX line (except the DS4) all have one 1/2" port and three 3/8" ports. The XTX first stages dropped the non-standard 1/2" port and now have four standard 3/8" ports. There is an additional "Status" line of first stages with some goofy digital readout of the intermediate pressure in the first stage, I'd steer clear of the "Status" line if I were you. If you want to periodically check your intermediate pressure (which is a good idea), buy something like this instead of some gimmicky first stage.

The second stages in the XTX line allow you to change from a narrow exhaust port like the ATX seconds all had, to a wider exhaust port similar to what the old TX50 seconds had. Some of the cheaper versions (starting I think at the XTX40) don't include both exhaust ports. The XTX also allows you to have the hose reconfigured to come in from the other side of the reg, for the life of me I don't understand why you'd do this. From the work of breathing (WOB) scores, the XTX second stages are supposed to be better breathers over the ATX/TX line, due to some changes in the exhaust valve.

DeNomad:
Also, I might be interested in servicing my own regulators in the future. I am currently thinking about the ScubaPro MK17, or the Apeks ATX 50 or 200. Can you get certification to work on your own equipment without voiding the warranty, and still get the parts for life?
The only way I know to get certified is through an LDS that is an Aqualung dealer. You can learn to do the servicing yourself (a tech at your LDS could show you how), but you'd have to track down the service kits yourself. Doable, but not free. And no, it doesn't qualify you for parts for life, lifetime warranty, etc. if you are servicing your regs yourself. BTW, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told the "parts for life" is actually something provided by the LDS doing the service -- at their discretion. I don't know if AL reimburses them for the parts kits...

John

Part is from your dealer, not from AL AL doesn't know who will get the part. It is your LDS decision after getting certified. But, do you want to be a shop monkey with a college degree? I wonder if your mom is happy with that... LOL~~~~

Hoosier, I already try to act the shop monkey, I service my own vehicle myself and it's a good skill to have in my opinion. Get most of my parts from the local pick-your-part and do whatever in the garage. It's good to actually know how parts you design in university go together in real life anyhow so you can appreciate how things actually work. There is a difference in assembling a CV joint assembly in real life versus doing it on the computer.

Anywho, on that note I wouldn't mind adding welding and regulator care to my skills set. It would be handy to be able to troubleshoot your own reg if it started acting up a million miles from the nearest dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom