Reg storage before cold water dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterWolf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Should I store my regulator somewhere cold or warm before diving cold/ice water? Does it make much difference? I assume that when you breathe warm air from your lungs into a cold second stage, it's going to condensate and contribute to freezing. However, the cold compressed air coming from the tank into a warm first stage could also condensate. Which is worse? At which stage do most freeze-ups occur? Does any of this really matter since both stages will quickly become the same cold temperature after they hit the cold air/water?

I'm not sure about cold water regulators, but some have a heat exchanger to help keep the air at water temp (below freezing), and also have a sealed "mechinism" to prevent moisture from the air, or water from freezing them up.

-----

Mike.

It does not really matter where you store it, just follow good cold water technique and take care not to use it/test it/etc before it is under water when you start the dive. Ay use out of the water will severely chill the reg and can lead to a freeze up during the dive.

If you search, you will find a recent post on cold water technique in this forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom