Reg Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering how difficult it would be to get certified to be a Regulator Technician on certain brands of Regulators?
I could then do my own regs, as well as bring in some extra income, by doing otheres regs? What do the classes consist of anyway. I was watching a LDS work on a second stage Mares, And it was so simple! I thought "I could do that"

Hello -

You'll need to be sponsored by a shop that is a dealer for whatever brand of reg you want to service if you want to take the official course.

That being said, most of the people who work on regs have never had the official training. They learned by watching someone else and by trial and error.

You can do the same thing. I would buy the Vance Harlow reg book and then hang out at a LDS and watch whoever fix regs.

The parts kits can be ordered via a shop that is a dealer for the regs. This may require various degrees of trickiness on your part. I use the "Hey, order me a parts kit for the XYZ" approach myself.

As for the actual difficulty in servicing the regs. They are not hard to service at all. All of the hard work is done at the factory. Typically, cleaning them up a bit and swapping out the parts is sufficient. Occasionally more is required, but that isn't all that hard either.

Peter
edit: Fixed dumb spelling error. Sheesh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom