Regal Angelfish in coastlal water of America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wwlworld

Reaction score
I am wondering whether there is any Regal Angelfish in the coastal water of America (including Mexican Bay and Carribean).

I am a scuba diver as well as a marine fish hobbyist, lately I have come across a book saying that there are Regal Angelfishes in the coastal water in Amercia and wondering whether that is true or not. Any of you divers have seen them ?

Anyhow, here is a picture of an hawkfish taken at Cebu, the Philippines.

Hello,

My books tell me tropical Indo-Pacific and agressive; for Pygoplites diacanthus.

Ed

something about lionfish sightings, but not about your little fellow. I assume that the lionfish had some kind of help getting into this hemisphere...

I don't know about your anglefish but we have a growing population of lionfish here on the NC coast so I guess it's possible.

Hello,

Probably some dolt released aquarium lionfish into the ocean and they took up residence there. That's what hapened with the piranaha species in north america.

There is a research project underway with NOAA to study the lionfish, the info can be found here

Ed

Thank you for sharing the information. I think my original source of information was not too accurate.

I think it is quite possible that some marine fish hobbyists unaware of the potential impact have released their pets into the surrounding sea. Over here in HK the fishing-community has even caught Yellowbar Angelfish (Pomacanthus Maculosus) out of the local water which is not a common species in this part of the world.

As a little token of appreciation, here is a picture of a Pacific Regal Angelfish. This picture was taken in Sipadan Malaysia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom