Regs to AVOID? (focus on more basic models)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a Mares Ruby, which is a great reg.
However, my LDS became a Mares authorized service center about a year ago, and tells me that's it's a nightmare getting parts.

MgicTwnger:
However, my LDS became a Mares authorized service center about a year ago, and tells me that's it's a nightmare getting parts.

Mares has been building a new North American facility to (hopefully) deal with the parts problem. It is my understanding that the issue has never been a problem in Western Europe.

Greg

MgicTwnger:
Interesting I came across the same problem a while ago.did youknow that there are only 3 rubies in north america at any one time? Yeah and the other parts are pretty expensive. It is the only reg I know about that doesn't replace the diaphragm in the overhaul kit.

rescuediver009:
Interesting I came across the same problem a while ago.did youknow that there are only 3 rubies in north america at any one time? Yeah and the other parts are pretty expensive. It is the only reg I know about that doesn't replace the diaphragm in the overhaul kit.
That's not surprising. I got it overhauled a couple of years ago and it wasn't too expensive, but it took forever to get the parts.

I know three people in the local area with Ruby's, I helped service two of them, and didn't have any trouble getting parts.

The Abyss is dang near bullet proof too. I personally dive a Proton and I like it, but have done all the work on it myself, so it's adjusted the way I like it.

Greg Barlow:
Mares has been building a new North American facility to (hopefully) deal with the parts problem. It is my understanding that the issue has never been a problem in Western Europe.

Greg

I'd agree, service and parts in the UK at least is not a problem and from my travels around europe nobody seems to have problems with Mares.

However, they do seem to have a lousy rep. in USA :06:

Shame becuase the regs a re very good

neophytediver:
I know three people in the local area with Ruby's, I helped service two of them, and didn't have any trouble getting parts.

The Abyss is dang near bullet proof too. I personally dive a Proton and I like it, but have done all the work on it myself, so it's adjusted the way I like it.

Have you ever tried to get an hjpfor one that was chipped.?

I'd agree, service and parts in the UK at least is not a problem and from my travels around europe nobody seems to have problems with Mares.

However, they do seem to have a lousy rep. in USA

Shame becuase the regs a re very good

That's strange, my LDS advised against Mares because of problems they'd experienced with getting spares.

My son has a VX16/Proton and it's a nice reg, breathes a little wet though.

Avoid Dacor & Mares.. parts are a nightmare...

ScubaPro MK25/G250HP is a workhorse.. not their newest model.. works well in colder water..

Choose a brand where you have access to a local rep for service & repairs..

So....should I replace my Dacor Quantum then? I have always liked it, I tried a lot out, and I liked this one best so I bought it. What's the deal with parts? Is Dacor out of business now or something? You people are scaring me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom