Regulator Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one. When flying I put some of the gear into the check in luggage but regulators. So I pack them in the regulator's bag and this is how they always travel.
It's easer to have them in the bag than loose in the backpack.
Mania

Am I correct to say no one in the right would ever check in their regulator even if it's supposely wrap and protected well?

I wouldnt ever trust my mission-critical gear to be handled by some baggage ape. If I had to, I would insist on a full inspection by a technician before using it for a dive. Its worth the trouble and extra cases to keep it at my side.

I always just toss my reg in a reg bag, put my bc in the big dive bag, then put the reg bag in the middle of the BC and velcro the cummerbund over it. Then I stuff in my wet suit and other stuff around it. Have logged hundreds of thousands of miles this way and never have had a problem. Especially with today's security - carrying on a reg / computer will be a pain in the butt.

I have had the frame of my hard-framed luggage bent, and the exterior skewered several inches on a past flight. Ill carry my big-ticket gear with me, its not worth being 800 miles away from home with a broken rig.

scubatoys:
I always just toss my reg in a reg bag, put my bc in the big dive bag, then put the reg bag in the middle of the BC and velcro the cummerbund over it. Then I stuff in my wet suit and other stuff around it. Have logged hundreds of thousands of miles this way and never have had a problem. Especially with today's security - carrying on a reg / computer will be a pain in the butt.

I'm with Larry, and it hasn't bitten me yet. Regs and (small) camera housing in the center; wing around that, wetsuit pieces around that. The bag's hard bottom on the bottom, jetfins on each side, and backplate on top.

Only things I carry-on are computer (the one thing I couldn't really depend on renting as a last resort) and camera.

(Tangent anecdote: I once was doing some paper logging while in-flight to another destination, so I woke up the computer in mid-flight to look up the old stats and tucked it away in my bag. By the time we landed I had the weirdest-looking descent going, and the computer was very puzzled.

I yanked the battery to end the "dive" (and the beeping) and it was all cleared up by the next morning. (But then, I chose mine partly for the absence of lockouts; many will lock out more readily, and some divers might find their computer locked out before they ever got wet under the same circumstances.))

lairdb:
I'm with Larry, and it hasn't bitten me yet. Regs and (small) camera housing in the center; wing around that, wetsuit pieces around that. The bag's hard bottom on the bottom, jetfins on each side, and backplate on top.

Agree, except.... I put my BC at the bottom, put the reg inside, with my drybox (which contain my backup light), then strap the cummerbund strap. Put wetsuit on top of it, and fins on the side.

And as Larry said, my friend travel with reg inside his cabin bag, and always being asked in every security checkpoint. Too much hassle in my opinion.

Benny

We always put our regs (as well as masks and computers) in carry on - only get searched occasionally, and it's not a big deal when it happens. I don't use a reg bag, makes for inefficient use of the space in the carryon, just pack carefully.

Just got back from florida. I put the regs in a padded bag and then slid the whole bag inside my backpack to make it easier to carry. Carried my regs and computer plus my girlfriends regs and computer. At one airport the screener asked me if I had plastic bottles in my bag after looking at the x-ray. I told her it was dive gear and she waved me on.

I just feel better having the ~$1700 worth of gear in my possession rather than in the belly of the plane. They can open your luggage whenever they want. When I returned home both my dive gear bag and my girlfriend's bag had notes inside saying TSA had opened them. Someone could easily pocket a wrist mount computer, but a set of fins is a different story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom