Regulator basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plumcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings, I am beginning the process of shopping for a new regulator and really would like a better understanding on how the things work. I have always rented my equipment and to be perfectly honest couldn't tell you one way or another if I liked one particular brand better than the other. They all allowed me to breathe under water which I liked! As I am currently researching brands and specs it is very apparent that I really don't know what will fit my needs. I live in the northeast so cold water quarries as well as the trips to warmer waters are in the future. I do not have any plans to do any tech diving so the absolute state of the art is probably much more than I need. I would really like to know the difference between piston type vs balanced diaphram. I will need to know why I need "XYZ" before I can buy. Any links or other info would be helpful TIA Craig

Greetings, I am beginning the process of shopping for a new regulator and really would like a better understanding on how the things work. I have always rented my equipment and to be perfectly honest couldn't tell you one way or another if I liked one particular brand better than the other. They all allowed me to breathe under water which I liked! As I am currently researching brands and specs it is very apparent that I really don't know what will fit my needs. I live in the northeast so cold water quarries as well as the trips to warmer waters are in the future. I do not have any plans to do any tech diving so the absolute state of the art is probably much more than I need. I would really like to know the difference between piston type vs balanced diaphram. I will need to know why I need "XYZ" before I can buy. Any links or other info would be helpful TIA Craig

You are mostly going to get everyone's particular version of how a regulator works on here. I recommend that you go to Scuba Tools and buy the book Regulator Savvy. It is very well written, and covers pretty much all you would ever want to know regarding theory, maintenance, and operation of unbalanced and balanced piston and diaphragm first stages. It also covers downstream, upstream, and pilot valve/ servo second stages. It is a wealth of knowledge. It taught me more than any regulator repair course that I have taken.

FWIW either type of first stage regulator (piston or diaphragm) can be used in freezing water provided that it is environmentally sealed. A high performance regulator is just that, the method in which the first stage is constructed matters very little to 99% of all people. When you hear someone say their regulator breathes "better" than another one they are usually referring to the cracking pressure. Pretty much any regulator can be set to a comfortable cracking pressure, usually between .6" and 1.2" depending on the design of the case. If I got too far in the weeds, please let me know your questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Before everyone comes along and tells you that one particular brand of regulator is better than another, most regulators will perform identically for the sport diver provided the intermediate pressure and cracking effort are set as they should be. I have regulators from the 1950's that breathe every bit as good as my modern ones. Regulator design has not changed much in the last 50 years.

Hi

With some friends I wrote a basic explanation on scuba regulators. I'm pretty sure that it will not cover all your questions, but it will be a start.

My instructors only buying advice was on regulators ... get a good, solid, higher performing reg, you don't have to buy the most expensive one, but get one that has good breathing performance
A good regulator can last you a lifetime of diving, and you don't want to find yourself wishing you had bought a better breathing one a short time later

(he was right, I bought ScubaPro's G250HP and while it was very much less costly than there top of the line, it is known for being a good breathing reg .. I'm happy but my choice is not necessarily a recommendation for what you need to get )

As everyone says, there is not a huge difference in regulators for the type of diving you are talking about. I would start by looking at which brands are sold and more importantly serviced in your area. Easy access to regular maintenance is a feature that you will learn to appreciate.

After that, SCUBA Diving Magazines website used to have an archieve of reviews going back several years. Over the years the quality of their reviews have fluctuated, but they are a good point to start.

Once you get through the above steps, and find some good possibilites, come back to the board and ask about specific models, I'm sure no matter what you pick, there will be somebody here who has experience with it.

Thank You all for your replies This is exactly what info I was looking for. Krulle your write up about all of the other bits of gear was also VERY helpful. It is a great starting point for me to do further research. Slonda thanks for "going into the weeds" for me. I will buy the book you recomended and hopefully go even further "into the weeds" Thanks again Craig

Back
Top Bottom