Regulator comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z2 miles ahead of the rest. I'd get the sealed Z2 if possible. In addition to outstanding performance and reliability, you can go years in between servicing and still perform like brand new without issues (3 - 5 years between servicing is average for me and I have gone to 7 years without servicing with regulators performing like new without any issues).

1. Aqualung titan
2. Aqualung core
3. Atomic Z2
4. Scubapro mk2 eco/r195

I also plan to do nitrox within the next few months.

The Core is the follow up to the older Titan. The guts are very similar. Technically they are two different regs, but the performance between the two is minor. These two regs will breathe easier than the Mk2/R195.

The Mk2EVO/R195 is in a different group. It is a work horse and compares more appropriately to Aqualung’s Calypso regulator. Both regs, as mentioned in previous posts, are used as rentals all over the place because they are simple and cheaper than balanced regulators. With that being stated, a Mk2 with a C350 is a decent and reliable regulator for someone on a budget and dives in warm tropical waters.

I can’t speak a whole lot about the Z2. Atomic does have a good reputation and the reg will work just fine for you.

In the interest of transparency I'm not a piston fan so my choice is not without bias. That being said I still think the Titan is a solid choice out those listed would be mine. Bias aside, you'll not go wrong with any of the top 3. The fourth either but it is "lower" on the food chain being unbalanced.

@27Words
If you plan on diving in your home state, neighbouring states and the North Atlantic I would recommend an environmentally sealed regulator which you can get with the Aqualung Core Supreme or ungraded on the Atomic Z. I have personally had a Titan free flow from freeze up at 46F at 55 feet in fresh water, so look at sealed regulators or at least cold water rated ones.

I feel the Z2 is in a league above the other similar priced regs with regards to build quality. Atomics just keep a stable performance for a long time (see post #11) and are the most bulletproof regs I have used. Then again, if you service modern regs every 2 years, then all of them are bulletproof for that interval. Atomics are rated for 300 dives in that interval though.

For warm (>50°F) fresh water and clean, blue water ocean dives, an unsealed Z2 is hard to beat for the money. Below that temp (or sandy/silty water) I'd seal it. Below 40°F I'd prefer a diaphragm reg. Below 35°F I'd rather have a sealed diaphragm. But then we are talking more serious conditions, and there I like the Mk17/G260 more than what's in the list above.

Nothing wrong with the R195. I used two Mk2/R190s for two decades as my primary regs. But only if you can get them MUCH cheaper than an Atomic reg.

What are water temps at Dutch. I know the lakes, quarries and ponds here are cold even in summer so if below 50.

Titan is out not cold water rated
Atomic z2, make sure you get the cold water sealed version
Core get the core supreme instead
The scuba pro I'm not familiar with but with what others have posted likely out because not cold water rated.

Not sure about Atomic, but Aqualung offers parts for life and that adds up over time. I personally have no experience with Atomic but my understanding is they are good and owned by the same company as Zeagle so may offer lifetime parts as well.

@27Words
If you plan on diving in your home state, neighbouring states and the North Atlantic I would recommend an environmentally sealed regulator which you can get with the Aqualung Core Supreme or ungraded on the Atomic Z. I have personally had a Titan free flow from freeze up at 46F at 55 feet in fresh water, so look at sealed regulators or at least cold water rated ones.

Don't know what your talking about..... I've seen one freeze at 70 feet 48 degree (not sure what brand) and water temp at 31 in the winter here.

Don't know what your talking about..... I've seen one freeze at 70 feet 48 degree (not sure what brand) and water temp at 31 in the winter here.
I was illustrating the importance of a sealed or cold water regulator for water temperatures below 50F; in my case it was a Titan which isn't cold water rated or available with an environmental seal; at 55 feet the temperature was low enough for it to freeze open. I've never dove in Pennsylvania but lakes in that area may be below 50F and the Atlantic can be below 50F. Hope that clears it up. In contrast I've dove me sealed regulators (Apeks and Dive Rite) in 38F or colder waters without issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom