Regulator Durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boingo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm very new to diving, but have already purchased my own gear. I bought a set of HOG regs which are awesome. I'm already seeing the abuse regulators can get from banging on tanks, hitting the ground, etc. It's kinda freaking me out. I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible, but it seems inevitable that it's gonna happen. Should I not be worrying so much? How durable are my regs?

I recently bought an Aqualung Titan/octopus/Oceanic Swiv console.

History thoroughly unknown.

Had it serviced the same week I received it. Per the serial it was manufactured around 1998.

I finally had it out today and put myself in multiple positions (the Sherwood Brut rental would get some water in when inverted) and had no issues. Down to 35ft.

Can you damage regs with careless handling? Yes. Plastic cases can and do crack. Regulators that are dragged through sand will accumulate debris that may lead to malfunction. But minor impacts and normal use are what regulators are designed for. As long as you don't drop your second stages on the asphalt or haul them through the mud, they should tolerate normal diving activities just fine.

Just curious - who's going to service your Hog's locally? TDL in Havasu? I've been thinking about getting a set but don't want to take the class and do it myself.

Just curious - who's going to service your Hog's locally? TDL in Havasu? I've been thinking about getting a set but don't want to take the class and do it myself.

Haven't decided yet. I'm hoping by the time they are ready for their first service, someone local in the Phoenix area will be available. I bought my wife a set of EDGE regs, so they'll be going to the same pace.

Scubatoys sells HOG/Edge. So their $50 service fee should apply. Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service

I'm kind of surprised El Mar doesn't already. They carry a lot of lesser known brands. David Hayes, their reg tech has a great reputation locally.

There's wear and tear and then there is abuse. The sort of knocking around you describe should be minimal if you're handling things well.

One thing I do is keep a regulator keeper on my right shoulder D ring. When I get out of the water my primary goes there so I don't set my cylinder on it when I let my rig down. It all goes down on a tarp, the back of the van or grass, never in dirt or sand.

When dealing with lead weights and gas cylinders a regulator can be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get damages. In these cases individual parts a usually available to restore the unit.

On of the biggest risks I have seen is going on a rinky dink dive boat an needing to pile everyone's rig together. That was worrisome.

In the end treat time like you would a camera. Realize that it can be a trough and tumble sport and stuff can happen and go have fun.

Pete

If you don't abuse them you will be fine.

Sounds like you are conscious about their upkeep - that is a good start.

Only thing is make sure they are kept secure while traveling and at home as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom