Regulator setup to match gear.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGNZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have this whole Black/White colour combo going on with my Scuba Kit at the moment. My current regulator setup is the Apeks DST with 50/40 which is without question fantastic although I really don't use the venture all that often.

The conundrum is that my wife now wants to get a set of regulators of her own rather than pay for rentals. The obvious solution would be to get another Apeks DST50/40. However, I was in my local LDS and they had the Apeks MTX-R......obviously, that is overkill even though in the winter months we do need cold-water regulators. Back to the conundrum, it just looks so dam good with my gear setup its like the final bling to finish it all off!

Am I going to look like a dick if I buy them over the 50/40 setup just because they look cool? Can someone try and talk me out of this decison haha.

Looking cool isn't a good reason to choose scuba gear.

If you're concerned about appearances, some (including me) would argue that mismatched gear of various vintages looks cooler, like you're a real living breathing diver with some experience who has made choices and changes along the way, and not a store display.

Looking cool isn't a good reason to choose scuba gear.

If you're concerned about appearances, some (including me) would argue that mismatched gear of various vintages looks cooler, like you're a real living breathing diver with some experience who has made choices and changes along the way, and not a store display.

Perfect just what I needed to hear :)

Remember - you were shopping for your wife. You won't look like a dick for buying the mtx-r because it looks cool... but you will look like a dick for buying yourself bling and giving the wife your no longer satisfying hand me down. Or were you planning on giving the mtx-r to your wife so she can look good while sporting an upgrade?

GUE's Rule #6 insists that the diver look good! That regulator is so freaking sexy. A friend of mine has those on his doubles and we have had to beat off supermodels with Riffe spearguns to keep them from boarding the dive boat he captains*.

*Not really but that's the way it should be with Apeks MTX-R's

I don't know anything about technical diving but for recreational diving looking good is rule #1 for me. Just about any regulator will do the job so it is important that your regulator makes you look like a Navy Seal. I look exactly like a Seal when I dive (with beer gut) and no one has ever tried to swim up behind me and cut my air hoses. Who knows how many times looking like a bad ass has saved my life.

Remember - you were shopping for your wife. You won't look like a dick for buying the mtx-r because it looks cool... but you will look like a dick for buying yourself bling and giving the wife your no longer satisfying hand me down. Or were you planning on giving the mtx-r to your wife so she can look good while sporting an upgrade?

Haha,

I am sure she would prefer a free DST 50/40 over paying for a new set herself haha. Thanks, for the tip thought 'happy wife, happy life'.

I like diving with my 30+ year old regulators that are usually older than most people on the boat. I love the puzzled look on their face after I convince them to suck a few breaths from it and they usually tell me "wow it breaths better than mine". Then they feel like I have some big secret and they got screwed when they bought their new expensive regulator. Ha Ha..

Back
Top Bottom