Regulator type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zulu1

Reaction score
Hey all,
I realize this may be the wrong place to post this but I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the Genesis GS 2000 reg. I will be purchasing my first set of dive gear soon and I'm trying to decide on the type of reg I should invest in. I've read a lot about regs lately and wondering if I should go with a piston type or a diaphram reg. I've kind of narrowed it down to a Scuba Pro MK25/S600 and the Genesis GS 2000. I would probably go with the Scuba Pro straight away until I read a post about them wanting to freeze up in cold water conditions. I will be diving a lot of fresh water mines pits that will be up to 130' with temps dipping into the 36-40 deg. range.
Could the SP be having problems because they are not environmentally sealed?
Anyway what do you all think about the Genesis GS 2000 reg?

Food for thought,
Many divers up here in VT including just about all of the ice divers(instructors included) use the Sherwood Maximus. It has excellent cold water characteristics. If you haven't checked this one out, you might want to.

Jetwrench

I personally prefer the Apeks. Completely sealed first stage, excellent breathing, had great cold water characteristics.

As I understand it, the general thought is that piston 1st stages (mk25) are exposed to the environmental and are more susceptible to feeze ups than diaphragm types (MK16). Having said that, I believe that scubapro has released the MK25AF (anti-freeze). What has changed, I don't know, but it's available. Any other info on it?

I currently dive with a MK25TA/S600 rig. I'm in Chicago and plan on some cold water diving in Lake Michigan and midwest quarries like Gilboa, Haigh and Mermet - so I was kinda concerned after hearing about the thread of MK25/S600 free-flows. I had it down to 39 degrees three weekends ago at Gilboa (66ft at the tubes where they have the thermometer) and didn't have any problems.

I found a MK25AF from scubastore.com for under $220 w/ shipping and expecting it in the next few days. I'll let ya know how it goes. I kinda like ScubaPro, but if I have any problems I think I'll be running for an Apeks.

There are very good diaphram and piston regulators out there and there are types of both of those that are really good in cold water. The best advice I can give you is to try out all the regulators you're considering and buy what works for you the best. A good regulator is almost always worth the extra money and if you're diving in cold water get one specifically designed for that. Don't worry about whether it's a piston or diaphram first stage.

My usual dive buddy and I both dive MK 25's. However last weekend his new MK25 froze twice on him in mid-40 degree water while I have never had a freeze up with mine in last couple years I have owned it.

We took his apart and found that the ambient pressure chamber, piston and spring was coated with something white that had dried and gotten quite flaky. It's not at all like the christo-lube that is supposed to be coating the internal parts. He cleaned it and properly coated it with christo-lube and I suspect the freeze problem will be eliminated.

He plans to talk to the Scubapro rep about this when he sees him in the next week or so.

I noted his Mk 25 has what amounts to cooling fins on the first stage about where the piston lives. These should improve heat transfer and reduce the potential for freezeups. I am not sure if his is a MK 25 AF or not and whether that explains the crusty white coating inside. If it is, I'm not impressed.

Here is a great, albeit slightly dated 'study' on some regs used in the coldest of waters.

Thought you might find it interesting.

BTW... the GS2000 performs quite well in cold water conditions (never tried it under the ice, though) and you can have a 'cold water kit' put into the second stage. Breaths easy and is about 1/2 the cost to maintain as my S600.

If you dive in cold water, I strongly recommend you get an Apeks reg. I had a MK25 S600 that froze on me at 42 meters, and it was the same problem mentioned above as well as the intermediate pressure being set at 11bar. That is when I found out about Apeks and now I would not switch for anything even when I am diving in warm water.

Also, since I have used Apeks, I have never had a free flow or freezing of my reg, and I am diving in Finland where half of the year I am under ice.

Back
Top Bottom